What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Other wicking material than cotton?

scumbag

Postman
Fancy a change and need some opinions on other wicking types for tanks and if it's worth trying out a different type?
Is there something that's as good as cotton for absorbing juice and flavour without the drawbacks?

Have only ever used organic cotton from many different brands but getting a bit annoyed how sometimes it breaks apart inside the coil or can taint the liquid after a while.

You can wick with mesh in some tanks, but not really done it myself. Would need advice from someone with more knowledge than me.

You could also use sera wool, a kind of filter material that you use as a kind of sponge; silica ropes (bad taste); cellucotton or rayon; metal ropes in gennies... it’s very interesting if you like to explore

Cool, does rayon lose flavour after a day or so? I thought silica sounded good as it shouldn't break apart in the coil but if its garbo taste wise I'll give it a miss.

Will give the rayon stuff a try. Also found one called Canna cotton, which is 80% organic and 20% hemp which might be worth trying

I started on silica and tried mesh and steel rope, but moved on to cotton (Muji). All are worth exploring, but bear in mind that most tanks are made for cotton. Mesh and silica will work in some tanks, but IMHO you'd be better of trying something else that's 'fluffy' in tanks built for cotton. Or buy different tanks to explore different wicking. :)

Last edited:
If your cotton is breaking apart in the coil there is a problem with your wicking.
If you don't fix that there's no point moving onto anything different and if you do fix that there's probably no need to change?

Fancy a change and need some opinions on other wicking types for tanks and if it's worth trying out a different type?
Is there something that's as good as cotton for absorbing juice and flavour without the drawbacks?

Have only ever used organic cotton from many different brands but getting a bit annoyed how sometimes it breaks apart inside the coil or can taint the liquid after a while.

Get some shake n vape cotton very durable, you get plenty of it to, wicks like a dream https://www.flawlessvapeshop.co.uk/products/shake-and-vape-cotton

If your cotton is breaking apart in the coil there is a problem with your wicking.
If you don't fix that there's no point moving onto anything different and if you do fix that there's probably no need to change?

Not really. I think because I moved onto using Clapton coils and the combination of high vg liquids makes gunk easier to form, hence the cotton struggling with that and higher heat. Doesn’t matter how tight I wick the coil or even the Scottish roll method, it still breaks up in the middle after a day at most. Sometimes less.

Could just go back to regular wire, maybe will as wicking constantly gets boring quick but thought I’d try learn if anything else exists that’s stronger/lasts longer first,

Back
Top Bottom