What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Mods with Variable Voltage settings.

Your confused zouzou or the person explaining it is, on the eleaf mods iv used when your in VW mode the screen shows the watts you can adjust plus in a small display it shows the voltage when you switch to VV mode the small display shows the wattage so they are the same setting just different information at the adjustable bit [emoji6]

But what I’m trying to get at is that you can’t set a different voltage without the power (watts) changing. Power is worked out using voltage and resistance in an equation, so if one of those changes (voltage) and the other stays the same (resistance) then it’s impossible for power (w) to stay the same, no?

Just tested out my Zelos mod (it has VV mode). The watts do change as I change the voltage. Set it to 5v and it displayed 12.3 watts. In watt mode setting it to 12.4 watts came to 5v, very slight variance in power that I wouldn’t notice

Edit: Just thought I’d add (which I think has been mentioned) not all mods are as accurate, which could be why you notice a difference on a different mod in wattage mode. My Zelos shows a difference of 0.2 ohm in my coil resistance compared to my pico. I think my pico is more accurate since I have a stock coil in at the moment and the pico reads it correctly

Aye so in response to your edit, this is what I think @simong and @Crewella were pointing out, that the mod can measure voltage, but has to calculate power. I think?

But what I’m trying to get at is that you can’t set a different voltage without the power (watts) changing. Power is worked out using voltage and resistance in an equation, so if one of those changes (voltage) and the other stays the same (resistance) then it’s impossible for power (w) to stay the same, no?
Your right and on the VV mods I've used the watts change when you change the volts so the only difference is the way the information is displayed

Aye, so if a mod can go into vv mode, but the watts displayed doesn’t change as you change the volts, it’s basically displaying the wrong watts, aye?

Aye so in response to your edit, this is what I think @simong and @Crewella were pointing out, that the mod can measure voltage, but has to calculate power. I think?

Kind of, getting a bit mind blown now lol. What I’m trying to say is if I fire at say 5v on my 1.8 ohm coil (which Zelos thinks is 2.00 ohm) it will be different experience than the pico firing at 5v?

I guess I need to test it out to see what wattage it’s throwing out

Ok so on pico 5v is 13.3 w and on the zelos 5v is 12.4 w

Last edited:
Aye I suppose that could just be down to one mod being more accurate than another, eh?

Yes I think so

Edit: and strangely I prefer vaping it on my pico, I don’t really trust what the zelos is telling me ... just have to mess around and see what actually vapes the best regardless of settings

I prefer volts, I think it's a UX issue. Makes a difference with wire that varies it's resistance with heat - like SS. With VW mod, as resistance changes the mod will vary voltage to keep the set wattage. A VV mod will just fire the set voltage. Like a mech, but regulated.

There aren't many around. You always have the OKR/OKL based mods like the HexOhms.

I'm about to build a squonker from an old Cloupor Mini board for this exact reason...

I prefer volts, I think it's a UX issue. Makes a difference with wire that varies it's resistance with heat - like SS. With VW mod, as resistance changes the mod will vary voltage to keep the set wattage. A VV mod will just fire the set voltage. Like a mech, but regulated.

There aren't many around. You always have the OKR/OKL based mods like the HexOhms.

I'm about to build a squonker from an old Cloupor Mini board for this exact reason...

That’s an excellent point, actually. All my mods have adjustable wattage, and I often use ss wire and watch the resistance and therefore the voltage fluctuate a bit. Never too much that I notice it being detrimental to it’s performance but then i’m a low power user and generally quite a hema type of person anyway.

Got you. Why do they have different settings then? I genuinely don’t know.
The VV mode is a hangover from the days of Jurassic vaping - Back then mods didn't have all the fancy microprocessor controls that modern mods have and were often adjusted using a simple dial with voltages marked around them (eGo Twist was a prime example), then came the more modern devices that had an led display, but they still adjusted in volts only (Pro Vari's), finally the Evolv Darwin was the first (AFAIK) VW mod...

The point to remember is that ALL mods adjust the voltage supplied to the coil in order to control Power levels - But where with VV mode in order to experience the same vape you need to work out the voltage to each individual coil resistance VW mode only requires you set a wattage the mod then works out the voltage that needs to be applied to the coil resistance to achieve the desired wattage...

Back
Top Bottom