What's new

Mesh RTA - Gryphus 24 MTL RTA

My one just had bad QC issues and so I couldn't really asses it.

I'm not kidding @rew, it's genuinely one of the simplest and most hassle free RTA'S I've ever built. It's just the amount of times I've rebuilt it that's worked me up.

The round wire coil and mesh coil both went in on every occasion without no incident what-so-ever, as did the cotton in both cases. The legs always tightened down sweetly every time, the only difficult thing was understanding how it assembled. Once I'd got that sussed that I was Dandy.

If you look at how the mesh deck is designed it's not a bad effort.
The real issue imo is the airflow.
It comes from the top of the sides.
This would only work if the whole deck area was filled with mesh and cotton.
The reason i built it so nig was an attempt to try and tap into the airflow better but even with a full labo pad scottish rolled it still didn't get close enough.
I even splayed out the cotton ends in a cartwheel to try and channel the airflow but nope.
With all that room left in the deck area and very little getting to the mesh meaning most of it just passes by picking up a little vapour on route imo it made for a hollow borderline harsh mesh vape.
It's not too similar to drawing in smoke feom the wrong end of the ciggie.

Less is more @Mr Ripple, I'm vaping it right now and it's wicking beatifully. No dry hits or turbulance what-so-ever. It's guzzling up the juice though.

The only real complaints I have are that the threadding is quite poor and that the juice comsumption is too high for the amount of airflow it has.

It's consuming far too much juice for an MTL tank (which it isn't) but it's not airy enough to justify a full DTL consumption.

I just keep finding it getting too hot before I'm ready to finish my drag, meaning I can really only take shorter puffs than I want to.

The round wire coil and mesh coil both went in on every occasion without incident what-so-ever, as did the cotton in both cases. The legs always tightened down sweetly every time, the only difficult thing was understanding how it assembled. Once I'd got that sussed that I was Dandy.

Well, I say without incident what-so-ever, that's not quite true... I did accidentally set fire to it once by unintentionally firing it after wicking...

I'd be interest to know what it was like with a standard, uncut OFRF strip in it.

I haven't tried a standard OFRF strip @JohnNada, TBH don't have too much mesh and need to get some more. I suspect it wouldn't work to well though. The higher ohms seems to be the better seem to be the better way to go here here. I had to cut down the standard strips to get a suitable workable build and I think higher resistance mesh is the way to go, but I've still got a lot of trial and error to do. I still think it's worth precovering with though if you like a cooler vape. 15 - 30w watts seem ideal from my initial trials. TC also helps with the heat issue.

Well all i can add is if your happy with it @Astral enjoy it, it's been fascinating so far and look forward to more trials and tribulations, good luck with it and enjoy.

I've been using this in TC control mode all day and it's made the world of difference. I can take draws as long as I want to now without fear of it over heating. It's become a real pleasure to use now I've got it dialled in.

My perseverance paid off in the end, and to my surprise the low resistance has made no difference at all. It vapes ever so happily right from 15w to pretty mush anything you want and provides anything from a really cool vape to a really hot one.

If they can bring out a V2 with more airflow control and variation they may have a winner on their hands.

They've got to loosen that base threading though, it's a real nuisance to get off even if believe you've left it loose. And the top cap would be better as a quarter turn rather than a fully threaded, but other than that my gripes are disappearing the more and more I use it.

The flavour is really very good indeed, I'm even being able to use juices again I haven't been able to use in a while.

Back
Top Bottom