What's new

Higher resistance coils

Also, where do people order their prebuilt coils from generally? I’ve been using Vapeclub, nowhere I’ve looked at seems to have a huge selection but sure I’m just not looking hard enough.

I thought the draw on the battery would be less for a higher resistance coil on the same wattage.? Or have I got that completely wrong? (No surprise if I have).

To be honest I don't think it makes much difference - I've currently got a Kayfun Lite with a 0.9 ohm coil and a Reload MTL tank with a 0.4 ohm Coilology MTL staple in that I vape at the same wattage and a battery seems to give pretty much the same number of hits (loads) before cut off. There may be some difference but I can't say I've noticed.

I usually just use basic round wire. A spool of 27g and 28g wire from Stealthvape and about 6 or 7 wraps. Use Kanthal mainly but Ni80 also.

Ugggh...no ni80...i will never touch it again kanth or ss,, above 1 ohm)

I thought the draw on the battery would be less for a higher resistance coil on the same wattage.? Or have I got that completely wrong? (No surprise if I have).

A 1.2ohm coil @ 10watts would draw 2.88 amps from the battery, whereas a 1.8ohm coil @ 10watts would draw 2.35 amps from the battery.

The 1.8ohm coil would be a cooler vape though, as it would take longer for the coil to heat up due to the higher resistance.

If you're looking for longer battery life, I would suggest that winding your own coils is the way to go. It's effortless with a coiling jig. And like @Crewella said, all the work is in fitting the coils. Wrapping one takes... 10 seconds or so?

Then you can get a thin wire and do fewer wraps. I've managed to get a relatively decent vape from 6w before.

upload_2021-7-20_11-44-17.png

Use shoestring cotton too...yeah, it may b a cpl cents more, but when u got a system...it makes it so much better

A 1.2ohm coil @ 10watts would draw 2.88 amps from the battery, whereas a 1.8ohm coil @ 10watts would draw 2.35 amps from the battery.

The 1.8ohm coil would be a cooler vape though, as it would take longer for the coil to heat up due to the higher resistance.

A higher ohm coil will take longer to heat at 10 watts if it is made from the same gauge wire as the lower ohm coil but has more wraps to raise the resistance because it will have more mass.. But if the higher ohm coil is made of thinner wire to raise the resistance it will be much smaller, with less mass and will heat faster at 10 watts. Sorry bud but the resistance is only one of the variables that will affect how quickly a coil heats - the overall mass of the coil will be a major factor, so will the material used.

The screen shows what is sent to the coils from the board after being converted by the circuitry, what is shown on the screen doesn't show what is being pulled from the battery. The amps for the higher resistance coil will be lower but it will be at a higher voltage - the buck/boost circuitry adjusts the voltage as necessary. Running a 1.2 ohm coil at 10 watts will not make your battery last much longer than a 1.8 ohm coil at 10 watts, or vice versa - if f it did the Vape industry would realise and there wouldn't be countless low powered pod systems running high ohm coils. 1 Amp at 3 volts is not the same as 1 amp at 4 volts. There will be some difference in running a 1.2 and a 1.8 ohm coil but it will be minor.

Last edited:
That is only relevant when using a mech mod - NOT a regulated mod

A higher ohm coil will take longer to heat at 10 watts if it is made from the same gauge wire as the lower ohm coil but has more wraps to raise the resistance because it will have more mass.. But if the higher ohm coil is made of thinner wire to raise the resistance it will be much smaller, with less mass and will heat faster at 10 watts. Sorry bud but the resistance is only one of the variables that will affect how quickly a coil heats - the overall mass of the coil will be a major factor, so will the material used.

The screen shows what is sent to the coils from the board after being converted by the circuitry, what is shown on the screen doesn't show what is being pulled from the battery. The amps for the higher resistance coil will be lower but it will be at a higher voltage - the buck/boost circuitry adjusts the voltage as necessary. Running a 1.2 ohm coil at 10 watts will not make your battery last much longer than a 1.8 ohm coil at 10 watts - if f it did the Vape industry would realise and there wouldn't be countless low powered pod systems running high ohm coils. 1 Amp at 3 volts is not the same as 1 amp at 4 volts. There will be some difference in running a 1.2 and a 1.8 ohm coil but it will be minor.
Exactly why i responded in private, in case i was wrong...wut did i miss...im rereading

Back
Top Bottom