What's new

High voltage vs. high amp vaping

Dennis-vc

Postman
Hello guys! After switching from DL to MTL style of vaping, I quickly realised that I'm getting better results with higher ohm builds (1.0-1.2 instead of the usual 0.7 that I was aiming for).
However, some people tend to build around the 1.6-2 ohm mark and I'm a bit in the dark on why you'd build coils like that. As far as I can work out it makes the coil more reactive and it extends battery life.
Are there other advantages that I don't know of? And is it safe to push 6-7 Volts through your coil?

Personally I am usually around 4 volts and I probably wouldn't go above 5. I don't build very high ohm coils and find that around 1 ohm is fine for MTL

It's where I'm at most of the times as well. 4-4.5 Volts on kanthal, usually a bit lower (3-3.5) on Ni80.
I'll have to start experimenting with higher ohm builds to see what's what.

Because that's the resistance some builds come out at. Kanthal is common for mtl and a 3mm 8 wrap 28ga KA1 build comes out at 1.7 ohm.

Last edited:
With mtl I almost forget ohms law as every coil build is based around 6-8 wraps of wire between 26-28 awg. I then park my wattage at whatever delivers 3.7v and adjust accordingly. Most of the time is spent at 3.7v but occasionally I may venture up a little (the 24mm kayfun seems to deliver the flavour I like better around 3.9v and the hastur mini is happy around 3.5v.

Also worth mentioning that on a regulated device the resistance does not effect battery life. The only thing that effects battery life is the power setting. 20w uses more battery than 10w and 30w uses more battery than 20w and so on. The higher the wattage the shorter the battery life. Resistance means nothing. The only reason higher resistance builds give better battery life is because people vape high resistance builds at very low wattage. Yes, with high resistance builds the voltage supplied to the coil is higher but that is output voltage and not input voltage. So high resistance builds will only result in better battery life if you keep the wattage low. And that will depend on the coil you use. You can build a high resistance coil that needs more wattage than a lower resistance coil. So the bottom line is - resistance doesn't matter. The coil that uses the least wattage will give the best battery life.

in my opinion if u use sub ohm on MTL u need higher watt, which makes more heat. On the small air hole like 1-2mm u can't cool down your coil.
I'm using 0.3mm Ni80 2.5mm inner diameter coil 11wrap on my Dvarw MTL 13.5w. 5ml juice and a sibgle 18650 is enough for 1day.

I did some experimenting and found out that the resistance has the most effect on heat. I wasn't happy with 0.7 ohm Ni80 on my Kayfun Lite while everything around 1-1.2 ohm gives me a cooler vape. High ohm coils ramp up faster but tend to destroy the cotton quite fast.

It seems like you have to forget all of this when building with mesh wick. A 7 wrap coil of 28 awg kanthal doesn't ramp up as it does with cotton, this might explain why some are pushing 6 Volts through their coil. Anyone who can confirm this?

I am using 28ga Kanthal A1 7 rolls on 2mm which results good. On my Spica Pro i use 28 ga Kanthal A1 6 rolls on 2.5mm. 4V 1.1 ohm +/_ 0.5 ohm is good for tobacco based liquids for mtl.

Back
Top Bottom