What's new

Hellvape MD MTL RTA Help!!

I only have one other RTA the Zeus X and I thin out the tails on that a lot but with the MD tank it has been p***ing out juice without loads of cotton. Any idea what the coils are that came with it ?

Sorry, don't have the MD myself.
Check out the build by Vic to see if it helps. I notice he has a long coil of 9 wraps.

^ He did 9 wraps to fully cover air intake holes... If wick(ed, soaked cotton) touches air intake holes leaking may happen on many tanks. There is a very fine line between leaking out airflow and dry hits with MD RTA - it reminds me of Digiflavor Siren/Siren 2 (which is sitting in a box, due to similar leaking issues but at least I found a solution for it; For MD RTA I still have to find one)

Because the leaking issue persists! ∅ 2.5mm, 3mm, more or less cotton - same result.

Side question: Does anyone know how much are Youtubers paid on avg. to do a single review? I generally take everything they say (not just VVVic, all of the mainstream ones) with HUGE reserve.

C'mon, how hard is it to detect leaking issues?! Its actually *serious* leaking issue, as pretty much ALL eliq from the tank will: leak out.

How come reviewers don't notice it (and even further, claim "it's top xyz in the year to date") when it obviously isn't and has serious flaws... I see no other explanation except "they're being paid" (...to keep it positive.)

There's no bias here, nor anyone should question whether it leaks or nor: it does. And even Hellvape confirmed that it does leak by releasing the following graphic:
79128454_2444911505724481_2263620229403770880_o.jpg
The only problem is that, even if you follow that instructions fully, it'll still leak. :-(

I'm still struggling with mine too!! I have tried all sorts and it vapes brilliantly to start with then all of a sudden BAM tank just empties, I am loathe to give in to this but I am running out of ideas to fix it, such a shame because when it is working it's great (sigh)!

I have actually managed to get mine working a bit better. I reverted back to one of the coils that came with it, not sure what one but it’s reading at 0.9 ohms. I am using quite a bit more cotton than I thought I would’ve had to but it’s wicking fine. I still have some residual e liquid at the airflow but nothing that I would consider a proper leak. This was my fourth attempt and not really sure exactly what I changed exactly but I definately didn’t thin the cotton at all and it felt quite tight going into juice holes

The MD is a P.I.T.A to wick properly to be honest, but it's worth it for the flavour & throt hit.

I've been using Fibre Freaks Cotton Blend insteaf of cotton and have had a bit of leaking here & there.

Last time was because I had a 0.5-1mm gap at the side of the wick hole once it was all saturated ( took the top off to check after vaping half a tank full ) Once I fixed this the leaking stopped.

It can get a bit gurgly on refills too depending on how fast you fill it, but I am using a 30vg / 70pg mix.

Its all in the wicking, I run my MD on 2
5mm and 2mm never any leaks bone dry.

Don't rush the wicking part fold it in in there or if your rushing use a tool to cushion the cotton and then fold it over the scree driver.

It will leave a bow and the wick won't make contact with the air whole.

SOLUTION(MTL only): Forget about cotton, coil build and shit. The only way to stop the leak is to seal the large gap on the adjustable airflow disc. To seal it use rubber or something. Hellvape should've known that metal to metal doesn't produce good isolation.

Well guys, i finished up here because i had the same problem as some of yours.
First, i'd assume that never had an amazing flavor like Hellvape MD before with any tank.

Unfortunatelly, for me as a beginner builder, got spitback and gurgling all the time, no matter what i do.

But in my last wick I managed to do the trick.

I'm using the 1.2 coil that came with it.

Just try to let a lot of cotton out, completly fullfil the juice wels (don't worry if it's not fluffy) and let the cotton bend over the turntable.

That's hwo it worked for me. Still have some spoking bubbles, but no spitback, no flooding signs on the turntable and no gurgling.

Sorry for the bad english, i'm brazilian.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.05 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.05 (1).jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 515
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.05.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.05.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 483
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.06 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.06 (1).jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 495
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.06 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.06 (2).jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 475
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-03-13 at 08.29.06.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 503
The only way to stop the leak is to seal the large gap on the adjustable airflow disc. To seal it use rubber or something. Hellvape should've known that metal to metal doesn't produce good isolation.
@Marsalis, closing one of those two? Which one, 1 or 2?
Screenshot_20200323_101805_temp.jpg

How to close it effectively with what we have as DIY supplies? (something that doesn't evaporate chemicals like glue or something that's not prone to heat damage)
Rubber, as in parts of spare/unused/old O-rings? That can close it, but probably not hermetically.
I'm so frustrated with this tank, I'd try anything! [emoji22]
Its all in the wicking, I run my MD on 2 5mm and 2mm never any leaks bone dry.
@82khali - You used 2mm coil inner diameter (smaller coil) with a coil length of 5mm? (6-7 wraps approximately, depending on wire gauge/choice of yours, to reach 5mm length. I usually do either SS or KaA1, 26-28ga for MTL.)

Hellvape suggested 2.5mm diameter and that fails. I also tried 3mm and that's actually even worse! (leaks) I though cos they suggest a lot of cotton + E-Liq juice ports are on the bigger end of the spectrum that 3mm would do something... Don't bother!

I have actually managed to get mine working a bit better. I reverted back to one of the coils that came with it, not sure what one but it’s reading at 0.9 ohms. I am using quite a bit more cotton than I thought I would’ve had to but it’s wicking fine. I still have some residual e liquid at the airflow but nothing that I would consider a proper leak. This was my fourth attempt and not really sure exactly what I changed exactly but I definately didn’t thin the cotton at all and it felt quite tight going into juice holes
& @MoodyB -

Last time was because I had a 0.5-1mm gap at the side of the wick hole once it was all saturated ( took the top off to check after vaping half a tank full ) Once I fixed this the leaking stopped.

Don't be happy yet. :-(

I managed to get no leaks too but only until my 3rd refill. Third = leaked completely all over the mod [emoji35] & [emoji17]

Build was exactly as they suggested in the Hellvape's infographic I posted! So that (their 2.5mm and wick it like a maniac) strategy DOESN'T work. [emoji107]

Additional downside was that I also had to fill 3/5 to the top; all over to the top would cause leaking immediately :-(

PS. I agree w/ many of you, *while it works* flavor IS nice. But it has serious flaw that completely ruins the experience.

Last edited:
I've not had it leak on me now for over a week, and that's with cutting the wicks slightly shorter than in the Hellvape Infographic.

Just rest my scissors on the black o-ring & cut at a slight angle, say 30 degrees or so.

This is using a 4mm strip of Fibre Freaks Cotton Blend (density 2).

To be fair I don't have my tank sitting on it's side or rattling around in my pocket a lot, so I guess it could leak more if that was the case.

Maybe some tanks have a slight defect that's causing this to happen more compared to others?

Btw I also have the 0.5mm or so gap between the airflow ring & the tank bottom, but when mine did leak is was always through the airhole.

Back
Top Bottom