What's new

Don't laugh but...

Astral

Achiever
Don't laugh, but I'm really rather pleased with this one. It's only my third attempt...

I did manage to lose the screwdriver in the process though. I finally found it in my shirt sleeve ninety minutes later, after turning the living room upside down...

1.1 ohm and heating evenly... So far so good...

IMG_20210111_170604[2538].jpg

We all have to start somewhere building our own coils. It looks decent enough and as long as it performs to your liking its all that matters [emoji106]

Yup, that’s not too shabby mate. Try and level it out a bit and make sure it’s pinched and pulses ok, but looking decent [emoji1303]

As long as it works it's fine. What guage of wire are you using btw?

You'll be getting them neat & tidy in no time. Main thing is, how they perform, not how pretty they look anyway.
Guessing it's 26g maybe 28g, not the easiest to work with, bit flimsy, especially 9 of 10 wraps.
When you've wound your last turn, hold the 1st turn end, or 1st leg, against the screwdriver or coil tool you're wrapping the wire around, and pull the other end, last wrap or other leg, if you like, to make the wire nice and tight, then, thumbnail it together. The more you can get it close & neat on the build, before you install & pulse, the better, especially with the finer wire sizes.
Good 1st attempt though!

I put 2 extra wraps, then after spacing while still on coil jig unwind one on each end by pulling the legs as my first wrap is usually uneven spaced, it also ensures its tightly wrapped.

Mine aren't the neatest, with 26 g & 13 wraps!
Much easier when you go 24g & thicker.
IMG_20210111_191152.jpg

I put 2 extra wraps, then after spacing while still on coil jig unwind one on each end by pulling the legs as my first wrap is usually uneven spaced, it also ensures its tightly wrapped.
I do that too. Coz my first wrap usually stinks!! Sausage fingers!!

@Astral I use 27g kanthal, 2.5mm ID, 7 wraps. Comes out at about 1.1 ohm and works a treat for MTL.

Back
Top Bottom