What's new

Doggystyle coiling

jackbond

Initiate
I just got a SXK Doggystyle and cannot for the life of me coil the thing. Every time I think I've got it, I give it a little tug and the coil just pops out.

I've watched all the videos and I know you have to have the wire running in the same direction as the screw so the wire doesn't push away as you tighten.

I'm using 28 AWG Kanthal and I'm wondering if it's too thick. Perhaps with a thinner wire I can wrap it round the screws 360 degrees and there might be more chance of it staying in place. I know this is a popular atty and I wonder what wire other people use. I've only ever used 28 AWG - would 30 AWG be appreciably thinner than 28, or should I get something even thinner?

If other people are happy using 28 then I think I'll give up on it cos it's clearly not working for me. Far too fiddly. The only other tanks I've used are an Ubertoot and Beserker and both of them are simple to coil - I'm glad I didn't get something like the doggystyle when I was transitioning from cigarettes cos I'd have gone straight back to the rollups out of frustration !

I just got a SXK Doggystyle and cannot for the life of me coil the thing. Every time I think I've got it, I give it a little tug and the coil just pops out.

I've watched all the videos and I know you have to have the wire running in the same direction as the screw so the wire doesn't push away as you tighten.

I'm using 28 AWG Kanthal and I'm wondering if it's too thick. Perhaps with a thinner wire I can wrap it round the screws 360 degrees and there might be more chance of it staying in place. I know this is a popular atty and I wonder what wire other people use. I've only ever used 28 AWG - would 30 AWG be appreciably thinner than 28, or should I get something even thinner?

If other people are happy using 28 then I think I'll give up on it cos it's clearly not working for me. Far too fiddly. The only other tanks I've used are an Ubertoot and Beserker and both of them are simple to coil - I'm glad I didn't get something like the doggystyle when I was transitioning from cigarettes cos I'd have gone straight back to the rollups out of frustration !
I build one with 28g no issues at all, try changing the screws to the spares in the bag and if it's doing the same wrap the wire all the way round the screw [emoji4]

I build one with 28g no issues at all, try changing the screws to the spares in the bag and if it's doing the same wrap the wire all the way round the screw [emoji4]
Blimey - that was quick. Thanks Matty. It hadn't occured to me that the screws might be dodgy - I'll try the spare ones. Cheers.

I used to use 26g in them, should be fine, just give them a good wrap around the screw & hold them in place when you're screwing down

FWIW I also use 28 with no problems. Tend to wrap it right round the screw.

Wind the legs around the screws as shown below...

Like this:

20170502_211057-jpeg.126346

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I tried changing the screws as Matty suggested but still can't get anywhere with it. The trouble is I've been trying so many times (I think 8 times yesterday and 3 times today) that I'm just getting stressed and go into it expecting it not to work. I think either the screws are dodgy (although it seems unlikely that both the ones installed plus the spares are faulty) or I'm just not cut out for this type of coiling. It's so fiddly - 2 hands aren't enough. You need one hand to hold the coil in place, another to coil the wire round the screw, another to pull the wire from the other side and another to turn the screw. I used to recoil on a Kanger protank and the coils on there were tiny so I don't think I'm completely cack-handed. But everyone else seems happy with this system so i guess it's just me.

Are you taking the coil off of your stick before screwing it on? If so, don’t. I hold the coil/stick with one hand, wrap it round the screw, hold the loose end in place with the thumb of the hand that’s holding the coil/stick, then screw it with your free hand. Easy! x

I leave the coil on the coil winder and place it between the screws with each wire end pointing towards its respective screw.
Then with the other hand wind one loose end round the screw and tighten - you are holding the coil in place with the winder which also keeps it in shape.
Once you have tightened one leg - wrap the other leg round its screw and tighten that down.
You can then use the winder to adjust the coil to get it 'just so' before removing it from the coil.

Two hands....

I use to make Protank coils so if you can do that you can easily do a Doggy -

Back
Top Bottom