What's new

Cotton allergy. Who knew.

eyeball kid

Legend
I've been using rta/rda's for my all day vape for a few years now and first thing in the morning I wheeze like an asthmatic donkey.
Since I've been testing various pods and stock coil pods over the last week or so I've kicked the day off with whatever device it is I'm testing and guess what. No wheeze.
Can't be the metal as the coil materials often change and these new devices are steel nichrome and kanthal (all the usual), so it's my cotton.
I used to use cotton bacon and fibre freaks and I can't remember any wheezing but I've long since switched to either muji or labo for everyday coil wicks.
Previously I'd put it down to eliquid as I do get wheezing using certain liquids (I should state that it passes within an hour or so) but it's clearly my choice of cotton.
Who knew...
Gonna have to try some other types / brands.

Like you, I would never have considered cotton type as a candidate for this. Keep us posted. Hope you find a resolution.

Like you, I would never have considered cotton type as a candidate for this. Keep us posted. Hope you find a resolution.
I know. Considering its organic blah blah blah, I've never considered it.
I'm allergic to cat hair (hence why Mrs kid has four currently).
Never thought about the cotton fibres.
A lot of the pods are ceramic and the zenith I'm using this morning has well packed stock coil cotton within a mesh cage but zero wheezing (it's usually pretty bad at first too) obviously in a rta the bare cotton is wide open and directly under the drip tip so must shed slightly. Makes sense considering how much naff comes off when fluffing the ends.
I shall investigate further.

I didn’t realise there was such a thing as it’s so ubiquitous but after a quick google it seems an allergy can cause respiratory problems. You could be onto something.

I've been using rta/rda's for my all day vape for a few years now and first thing in the morning I wheeze like an asthmatic donkey.
Since I've been testing various pods and stock coil pods over the last week or so I've kicked the day off with whatever device it is I'm testing and guess what. No wheeze.
Can't be the metal as the coil materials often change and these new devices are steel nichrome and kanthal (all the usual), so it's my cotton.
I used to use cotton bacon and fibre freaks and I can't remember any wheezing but I've long since switched to either muji or labo for everyday coil wicks.
Previously I'd put it down to eliquid as I do get wheezing using certain liquids (I should state that it passes within an hour or so) but it's clearly my choice of cotton.
Who knew...
Gonna have to try some other types / brands.
Hey eyeball kid,
Best name ever by the way.
I personally have never heard of a cotton allergy or cotton causing allergies. If it is indeed the case, perhaps try a product called Canna Cotton, its a type of cotton wick which is made of 20% hemp fibres and 80% cotton. that 20% hemp addition may be a better bet to fight the allergies.
Hope this helps,
Yianno.

A lot of the pods are ceramic and the zenith I'm using this morning has well packed stock coil cotton within a mesh cage but zero wheezing (it's usually pretty bad at first too) obviously in a rta the bare cotton is wide open and directly under the drip tip so must shed slightly. Makes sense considering how much naff comes off when fluffing the ends.
It's common misconception but Muji isn't actually organic lol. I pretty much exclusively use Muji but 'Datt White Stuff' works nicely (got given some by a member on here). But I also want to try this stuff which might be quite good for you as it's a cotton mix:

https://www.cremedevape.com/epages/...ories/Brand/Brand_Fiber_n_Cotton&Locale=en_GB

Did you have similar issues with cellucotton/ rayon?

Did you have similar issues with cellucotton/ rayon?
I have not used any Rayon cotton ever. I know for a fact that Rayon cotton is used in Zippo lighters as a wick so with that being said, so in my mind, it would be good for wicking but I don't see any particular flavour benefits.

Back
Top Bottom