What's new

Am I really missing out with stock tank?

aristorato

Postman
Hello all,
I am pretty new to all this, but in enjoying it a lot. I have recently moved from a pen style vape to a kroma r + zlide and have been loving it so far.
Tried quite a few juices already (vampire vape, druid, dinner lady, the latter is too sweet for me, and I have some Manabush coming into the post).
I tried quite a few coils, and so far I am enjoying vaping with the 1.2 ohm, I can't taste anything with the 1.6 and anything below 1 ohm doesn't give me a throat hit.
I have now watched quite a few videos about the new Ares 2, and rta in general, and what I thought was complicated (wicking, creating coils) seems easy enough, also I could eventually buy the coils if I'm not good at making them.
There are, however, some things that I still don't understand, such as:
How do I understand what wattage to use on self made coils? How long do they last? How can I clean them? How much more juice they consume compared to a stock tank? Are they really far superior as the web makes them sound like? Would you move up so soon being a beginner?

I know they are a lot of questions, but even a small answer with some links to read would be appreciated ;)
Many thanks

If you are happy with what you have you are not missing out on anything.
If you want to build simple coils it is easy, and will save you money.

if you want to give it a go then let us know what sort of vape you like and you will get suggestions of a good place to start.

For me the question is, if you are enjoying it and it is keeping you off the cigs then why do you think you should change?
I vape with stock coils tanks and I am perfectly happy to pay a bit extra for someone to make my coils as I don't have the inclination to make them myself. For me if you have a setup you enjoy then just enjoy it. Try more liquids and enjoy more flavours. Some will disagree but stock works for me so I'm sticking with it for now, I'm in no rush.

I di enjoy it atm, and I enjoy tobacco juices if that was the question.. my question was coming out of curiosity, as I read only praises about RTAs and I thought I was missing out, also because the tank costs 20 pounds on vampire.
My issue with the zlide is that sometimes I don't feel some juices, but maybe I would have the same effect on the ares 2.

You are not going to enjoy every liquid no matter what the device. Some liquids you will love, some you will hate, I've tried tons of liquids and some I adore and some I can't stand, even ones that are considered classics or everyone else seems to love, it's personal taste. You might get more flavour using an RTA but it isn't going to make a bad liquid good.
If you do want to try an RTA then you will get amazing advice on here. I too enjoy my tobacco liquids so Manabush is an excellent choice! I also like other tobaccos and all kinds of other flavours, it's all good fun this vaping lark eh.

RTAs will generally give you better flavour and save you money in the long run - plus .... unless you forget to buy cotton - you rarely run out of coils.

on the other hand - there is a small learning curve - and rewicking can at times be a chore.

when you have sussed it - you would not go back I think - but be prepared for some early frustration :)

Hello all,
I am pretty new to all this, but in enjoying it a lot. I have recently moved from a pen style vape to a kroma r + zlide and have been loving it so far.
Tried quite a few juices already (vampire vape, druid, dinner lady, the latter is too sweet for me, and I have some Manabush coming into the post).
I tried quite a few coils, and so far I am enjoying vaping with the 1.2 ohm, I can't taste anything with the 1.6 and anything below 1 ohm doesn't give me a throat hit.
I have now watched quite a few videos about the new Ares 2, and rta in general, and what I thought was complicated (wicking, creating coils) seems easy enough, also I could eventually buy the coils if I'm not good at making them.
There are, however, some things that I still don't understand, such as:
How do I understand what wattage to use on self made coils? How long do they last? How can I clean them? How much more juice they consume compared to a stock tank? Are they really far superior as the web makes them sound like? Would you move up so soon being a beginner?

I know they are a lot of questions, but even a small answer with some links to read would be appreciated ;)
Many thanks

The biggest benefit is really the cost saving. Making a simple coil for a tank like the Ares isn't difficult and most people (myself included) wouldn't even bother cleaning them... I usually vape mine for a week, then rip it all out and put a fresh coil and wick in there. We are literally talking pence to recoil and wick.

As for wattage, you just turn it up until you get the vape you want, once you decide on a wire thickness and internal diameter it will just become second nature making them. That said it can be a bit of a pain at first, especially if you don't get on with the tank you choose.

The whole 'far superior' thing is bollocks for the most part. If I was loaded I wouldn't bother, I'd just use my Vika all the time.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up an Ares 2 though, they aren't expensive and you'll probably end up with an RTA sooner or later because you'll get sick of paying a tenner for a pack of coils eventually.

MTL rta's will give better flavour plus save money.

Wicking for me is theroputic, if you love a bit of tinkering and learning a few things and more importantly have a little patience, then you are in for a good fun hobby.

I learned a lot of searching through old threads in the forum and if you not sure keep asking and people will generally chip in and help .

One day when you know enough, you will help new fellow vapers :)

I di enjoy it atm, and I enjoy tobacco juices if that was the question.. my question was coming out of curiosity, as I read only praises about RTAs and I thought I was missing out, also because the tank costs 20 pounds on vampire.
My issue with the zlide is that sometimes I don't feel some juices, but maybe I would have the same effect on the ares 2.
What everyone else said, plus im not sure what coils are compatible with the zlide, but when i switched from smok to vaporesso coils it was like a whole diffenent experience. And i still use them, or I build one when i have time and dont mind my room looking like i murdered a stuffed animal. (Still getting the hang of it)

For wattage tho, to low a wattage will seem like its not working well, low vapor production, etc..to high the vapor will be there, but the taste will start to fade, or it will start getting to warm to your liking
Aim for the sweet spot in between, and .1 watt either way never makes a diff. At least to me anyway. There is always a good 1-3 watt spread in either direction at least, especially at higher watts

Hearing slight sizzling after the hit is often a clue i need to go up or down a watt or 3...i think i usually go up to get rid of it, someone more experienced would b able to tell u the physics of what that is about

Last edited:
Another benefit of rtas is you can use the same wire and cotton for many different tanks instead of having to source and order different coils for each tank often from different vendors.

Back
Top Bottom