What's new

Weird batch of flavour concentrates? Advice needed!

I agree with pretty much everything you are saying. The only thing I've really noticed is that some flavours fade over time, case in point being the gingerbread I'm vaping now, it was mixed on the 28th June, so not that old and the ginger has faded to half what it was.

Now if you prefer the flavour with the ginger much more subtle then you could say this mix gets better after a 3 month steep, but that's totally subjective.

I guess if you've used concentrates that you don't like the taste of, then it might taste better after a couple of months too for the same reason.

Personally when I get a new flavour first thing I do is mix up 10ml and if it tastes like shit I don't use it.

That last bit of advice is what I learnt in the hard way i think - I went trigger happy and whipped up 300 ml of different recipes that came to mind and in the process wasted some expensive nicotine :( I'll be doing much smaller mixes in the future and nicotine - free first!

Thank you all for the input!

Thanks Cliffyboy - I'm new but I'm under the same impression - I don't think steeping for any time will move a flavour from absolutely unvapeable territory to something nice - I'd imagine it would be tolerable at best due to muting of flavours.

To be fair I didn't use a ready made recipe but I've just stuck to the principle I see on various recipe sites, i.e. flavours I like, pg/vg i'm after, nicotine, 7 - 25% total flavour. I haven't done anything egregious either to result in a shit recipe (I think!), e.g.:

Graham 1.00%
Pistachio 2.00%
hazelnut 2.00%
Vanilla Custard 2.00%
Butter 1.00%

Surely this shouldn't taste like beef lasagne?!?! Because that's what I'm getting off it lol (in addition to the glue/chemical flavour)

I don't think its a case of vaper's tongue either as 1) I've only been vaping for 3 weeks 2) the ready made liquids taste amazing.

In light of this and the fact that the newly ordered flavours actually smell really nice, I think the conclusion is a terrible batch.

Yeah. I do agree with @Cliffyboy1962 that if it's unvapeable to start off it's not going to get much better. I was meaning a slight chemical taste can tone down in time to be less minging.

Beef lasange :18::18:

You might be onto something :18:

Hi @Pnos and welcome.
While Darkstar are good they have unfortunately not really kept up with others and tbh i dont tent to use them at all anymore.
Their range has become pretty limited in comparison to some of the other forerunners.
I have found the pokey oval shaped bottles of theirs to be of a different kind of plastic than the standard PET bottles used everywhere else and am certain they are the culprit of a shorter shelf life of concentrates.
The type of plastic they use to rebottle does not withstand containing some of the citrus type flavourings.
I had a pineapple stored for a few months (cant remember the brand) which cracked the plastic and turned it orangey colour.
When i unscrewed it to take a look the threads were disolving.
Then theres the cardboard liner in the lids...........:hmm:
Can't be good for whats supposed to be a sterile environment.

Anyway rainbow vapes, just flavours, chefs flavours, the Alchemists Cupboard, are all good.

Yeah. I do agree with @Cliffyboy1962 that if it's unvapeable to start off it's not going to get much better. I was meaning a slight chemical taste can tone down in time to be less minging.

Beef lasange :18::18:

You might be onto something :18:
That'll be the Hazelnut.
It'll be far too overpowering @ 2%.

That last bit of advice is what I learnt in the hard way i think - I went trigger happy and whipped up 300 ml of different recipes that came to mind and in the process wasted some expensive nicotine :( I'll be doing much smaller mixes in the future and nicotine - free first!

Thank you all for the input!

yeah, single flavour testing is a pain but it will save you a lot of time and money in the future, always try a 10ml first too.... 30ml of concentrate is a lot, especially if it's only something you are using small amounts of now and again. ... or if you don't like it obviously.

It will also give you an idea of how strong the flavour is too.

Just to add if you are adding FA Expresso start at 0.25 max....it overpowers everything unless you go high with creams, even then, it needs a watching.

Try

6% Capella custard v2
1% Capella golden butter
0.2% FA espresso
0.2% FA pistachio
0.2% FA hazelnut

See how that goes, that’s the order of strength id use those flavours in, no idea how it’ll taste. If it tastes awesome you can PayPal me a score [emoji23]

Ps - just a thought, I wasn’t aware FA (flavourart) made a graham cracker clear, you’re not confusing these FA flavours with TFA flavours are you? Because they’d all require different amounts again :)

Last edited:
Try

6% Capella custard v2
1% Capella golden butter
0.2% FA espresso
0.2% FA pistachio
0.2% FA hazelnut

See how that goes, that’s the order of strength id use those flavours in, no idea how it’ll taste. If it tastes awesome you can PayPal me a score [emoji23]

Ps - just a thought, I wasn’t aware FA (flavourart) made a graham cracker clear, you’re not confusing these FA flavours with TFA flavours are you? Because they’d all require different amounts again :)

Yeah, I have to say, those percentages make a lot more sense. Heavy on the body and light on the accents.

Try

6% Capella custard v2
1% Capella golden butter
0.2% FA espresso
0.2% FA pistachio
0.2% FA hazelnut

Apologies to all - I wasn't aware there was a "Flavourart" (newbie alert). All the flavours I mentioned are TFA!

I'd like to try that recipe of yours! Would it be very different using TFA?

Back
Top Bottom