What's new

Vanilla

Mr Ripple

Legend
10x Madagascan Planifolia Large Gourmet Vanilla Pods/Beans (GRADE A),

In the interests of science and the love of vanilla I decided to attempt to create my own flavouring.

I took 10 of the above pods purchased through Amazon for £15 and sliced down the middle to release the seeds then chopped them up into 0.5cm pieces.

I then took 200ml of propylene glycol and brought it to the boil and dropped in the vanilla.

When the mixture was cool enough I decanted in to a 250ml bottle and sealed the lid.

It's been steeping now since March 15th and it will continue to steep till September 15th including the odd shake here and there and then I'll strain it several times through muslin until I'm sure I've got any loose particles out.

How it will turn out I've no idea but I've been interested in trying this for a while now so why not.

Be interested to hear any thoughts on this especially if you've tried it before.

20210408_121554.jpg
20210408_121547.jpg

That looks like it's done on an industrial scale :18: I've been meaning to give it a go, I never got round to it, mainly because I have loads of vanilla's already. I actually bought a couple of pods but they shrivelled away to nothing :doh:I've done teas, they're simple to do, just a cold steep.

i guess you use a lot of vanilla flavouring then? 200mls would last you how long?
I've used vanilla (FA and IN) in several recipes but have only gone through ~100mls in 7 years.

Not the same I know but I've made vanillin using crystals purchased from Flavourart. That was an easy mix into warmed up rather than boiling PG, to achieve a fully saturated solution. Still have about half of the 50g of crystals left and I no longer use it as an additive.

Do you have any thoughts on vanilla vs vanillin?

Do you have any thoughts on vanilla vs vanillin?
Very good question.
I'd have thought all flavourings for vaping come from vanillin but could be wrong.
I do like Vanilla as an additive and the reason I've been so tempted by creating my own is for ages I've been trying to get hold of this in the uk but failing....

upload_2021-4-8_14-0-53.png

I seem to be on a holy grail of Vanilla hunt.

Still have this from June 2015, and it still smells great, really sweet and nowhere near as dark as vanilla concentrates tend to go.

vanillin.jpg

The crystals say best before Feb 2016 but I bet they'll be just fine too for making another batch. Want to give it a try?

Very good question.
I'd have thought all flavourings for vaping come from vanillin but could be wrong.
I do like Vanilla as an additive and the reason I've been so tempted by creating my own is for ages I've been trying to get hold of this in the uk but failing....

View attachment 244262

I seem to be on a holy grail of Vanilla hunt.

TPA french vanilla deluxe (one of my favs) has a lot of Vanillin in it, Vanillin, Ethyl Vanillin and Ethyl Maltol are the 3 main compounds.

Screenshot 2021-04-08 143044.jpg

i don’t think muslim will be adequate for straining it, regardless of how many passes you do. cotton wool would be better but even that might leave you with particles.

I've got some of Strawberry Ripples tinned custard already steeped and have now added 2% of the Vanillin V100 to it. I'll give it a couple of weeks and let you know of any difference in the juice when I try it [emoji1303]

Three months in and all is well.

i don’t think muslim will be adequate for straining it, regardless of how many passes you do. cotton wool would be better but even that might leave you with particles.
Do you think i might find anything suitable in a home brew shop?

Back
Top Bottom