What's new

Unvapeable DIY juice...every time!

RedLady1991

Hello all!

New to POTV but been lurking a fair few months now. Time for me to step out of my lurkers cave lol!

I have been dipping my toes into the world of DIY juice making. It's fair to say that I have got a long way to go until I even remotely consider my juices vapeable :lol1:

Every juice I've made has either come out bland, harsh, too strong or just plain vile.
I've managed to come up with the following:
  • One or two batches this is likely because I just don't like the flavour concentrate I used - fine, I expected that to happen. Can't like every flavour!
  • Too much flavour concentrate (bottle recommends between 10-25% - that's a massive jump). Started at low % then worked my way up but somehow still seemed to jump from too weak to too strong? Maybe I need to do a few small batches with different % then leave to steep?
  • Poor nicotine quality. Tried 2 different brands now and still get a harsh peppery feeling in my throat. Too much maybe? (Even though I am using an e juice calculator and adding as per the recipe/measurements).
  • Poor quality base liquids/concentrates...I find this hard to believe as I used Decadent Vapour mixers and concentrates. Also used big juice concentrate too and had same issues.
  • Coil needed changing - nope new coil didn't sort it so pretty sure it's not that. Same coil was fine with premade juices I'd bought from other vendors.
To add to the above I am using 5 and 1ml syringes. I know that weight is preferred way of mixing for many DIYers, this is just not viable for me as I live in a tiny bedsit/studio flat and to say I'm limited on space is a huge understatement lol. Therefore keeping equipment and the likes down to a minimum is important to me.

I have ordered some sweetener and 'smooth' concentrates from Dark Star, along with more VG/PG liquids to see if it is perhaps the materials I'm using. Also hoping the Smooth liquid will help my peppery lung burning death liquid become a magical tasty vape experience...I'm not holding my breath though :rotflmao:

I guess this was just me thinking (typing) aloud in the hopes one of you lovely people might be able to give me some tips for mixing my own juice. I am slowly losing the will to continue, as I'm wasting more than I'm saving at the mo!!

Thank you for reading my essay!

Annie

Do you have a dripper (rda) if not it is worth considering for easy and regular testing.

Then gradually and patiently build up from simple to more complicated.
Starting from the best you have managed so far to a bit better than that, hopefully good enough to vape.
Then improve on that.

Small batches are a must,
Trying different percentages is a good idea.
Keep good notes on every mix.

Stick at it and you will get there.

Hiya! Just my own experience, but I started mixing with atmos labs concentrates (very good but quite expensive) then quickly started on flavour art. Flavour art are excellent, and darkstar sell them rebranded as dark arts, much cheaper. They are very strong so you only need low % (1 - 5 depending on the flavour and your taste) and I suspect this means it’s less likely there will be “off” flavours (which i’ve found with a couple of other brands I’ve tried here and there). Because of this I don’t know much about other flavour brands (I have a few from the flavour apprentice that Inuse and a few more I don’t like). Hopefully some other posters might have experience with the concentrates you have and be able to advise.

Are you using straight flavour concentrates, one shots, trying to make complex mixes etc? When I started out (and still, a lot of the time) I would mix single flavours, or at most a blend of two. I think this is a good idea to get your head round mixing before thinking about complicated blends, recipes etc.

As for the peppery nic, that’s a tricky one since the tpd regulations made it illegal for vendors to sell 72mg to regular customers, as you don’t have the same amount of choice and people can’t really discuss it on open forums.

Finally, you might want to try vaping your vg and pg on their own just to make sure that the bad taste isn’t coming from either of them.

Hope this helps, I’m sure others will be around with more suggestions. Keep us posted with how things are going.

Where did you get the nicotine? Peppery taste is rarely a good sign I'm afraid.

And how long do you leave the liquids to ripen? Some will improve over time like a fine Malt.
And, aye, do some wee testers with different %, some less, some far less than the recommended amounts.

Never fear, it will all come together!

Your using some well branded and respected concentrate vendors...so unlikely.
At what nic level are you vaping at?..what kit are you using?
can you post a screen shot of your mix.
Where is the nic from?..... how do you store it...it should not taste or smell peppery
if all else fails try heisenberg from vampire vape @17% it's bullet proof

By the way I use measuring cylinders and occasionally syringes. No scales here!

+1 to this
It is not the cause of your problems, there may be advantages but your syringes are accurate enough.
As long as you are using the right tool for the job, the 1ml for anything up to 1ml for example and not trying to measure 1ml in a 100ml cylinder.

Thank you for all your replies! Overwhelmed by the speed and in depth info/advice in them :)

To try to answer some of the questions:

Yes i have vaped some of the PG and VG on its own...apart from being a bit bland it was fine to vape, not harsh or anything really.

The nicotine is also from Decadent Vapour, but i have some other bottles from other vendors.

No i havent got as far as dripping yet. I literally don't have a clue how i would go about that...i have read various articles and "how to" but i can't get my head around it or understand how it would apply to the equipment i have if that makes sense?

As for steeping, i've heard that fruit flavours 'should' be okay to vape pretty much immediately after a good shake? ive left most a week or two after the initial sample and whilst the flavour improved the harshness hasn't.

I'm vaping at 3 or 6mg/ml or 0.3/0.6% (whichever way you use). Equipment is an Aspire Pockex.

I also have an Innokin Endura T20 - does anyone know if i can put a different tank on that?

Also heisenberg liquid is a huge no go for me...aniseed flavour anything reminds me of the time i nearly died from drinking too much absinthe and sambucca when i was 17 :puke:
I tried it and then nearly upchucked when i got the taste of aniseed!

Last edited:
With regards to rda for testing juice.
You would want an rda with similar airflow to what you normally use.
You would also want a single coil at a similar resistance to whatever you use, vaped at a similar power, or the same power if your device is not adjustable.
You then use some cotton to make a simple wick, muji is probably still the most common.
A coil would last for months when just used for testing and you can buy them ready made these days.

It does make testing much easier, you just have to rewick between tests rather filling a tank of juice you do not like.

Back
Top Bottom