What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

To Steep...or NOT to Steep, that is the age old (for 30 days) question.

Shall we steep?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes they absolutely do! Lol all this is frustratingly overwhelming because there's so many factors and what applies to one won't apply to the next. So are you suggesting mix a custard/cream blend (which I noticed doesn't mute very quickly) and then when I'm ready to use it, add whatever flavour I want as the secondary (like fruits)?
That's what I do with strawberry custard. Factor the strawberry into the calculation but leave it out until the custard has steeped for a month, then add the strawberry and 1% dragon fruit which is supposed to help slow down the fading of the strawberry.
I don't find that the flavour of juices fades with time, generally speaking, and have juices on the go for many months. Custards I find need at least a month steep and get better with each passing month thereafter, peaking after 6 months, but all my non-custard juices only need a few days.

That's what I do with strawberry custard. Factor the strawberry into the calculation but leave it out until the custard has steeped for a month, then add the strawberry and 1% dragon fruit which is supposed to help slow down the fading of the strawberry.
I don't find that the flavour of juices fades with time, generally speaking, and have juices on the go for many months. Custards I find need at least a month steep and get better with each passing month thereafter, peaking after 6 months, but all my non-custard juices only need a few days.

Thank you I will have to try that!

I just a couple of days ago had a go at a Flavour West licorice I had made 4 months ago, it's now rubbish and lost a heap of flavour. Another down the drain job.

Yes they absolutely do! Lol all this is frustratingly overwhelming because there's so many factors and what applies to one won't apply to the next. So are you suggesting mix a custard/cream blend (which I noticed doesn't mute very quickly) and then when I'm ready to use it, add whatever flavour I want as the secondary (like fruits)?
Yes I would give that a try. As @Mr Numpty suggested, calculate the strawberry into the mix but add it after the custard has steeped. Dragon fruit is definitely worth adding as well, I've found it beneficial.

Mainly shake and vape.

But most juices will benefit from a bit of a steep, think of it like marinating a bit of meat, after an hour it will be OK, leave it overnight and the flavour penetrates more, the flavours mingle together and work together more, and the end result will be a more flavoursome product, in theory anyway, there are plenty of marinades that you wouldn't want to leave for a long time.

What I object to is all the nonsense surrounding steeping, you're essentially just leaving the bottle in a drawer for however long it is until you remember its there, or your previous bottle runs low, whether you shake it, airate it, warm it, cool it, decant and mix it or sacrifice a dozen virgins in its name, it will do its thing just sat there all mingling together on a molecular level, different components oxidising, changing, differnt compounds working together etc etc

But much like a lot of things to do with vaping / coil making / diy juice, it's been hijacked by people (no doubt living in their parents basement) that want to make it seem much more complicated than it is, so they can fool themselves in to thinking they are some kind of mad professor putting the world to rights, when the reality is for a coil they wrap wire around a stick, and for juice making they squirt a couple of things in to a bottle and leave it in a drawer, I mean seriously, you're not trying to find the cure to cancer or how to send man to the edge of the galaxy.

Last edited:
I have been mixing from very early on when I started vaping, and thought steeping was a big must.

After trying my mixes though steeped vs fresh, most of the time I actually prefer fresh-just give a good shake and let it settle. I can't actually think of a flavour I prefer steeped now.

The best explanation I read on steeping explained it let some scents mellow out. My sense of smell isn't the best so could explain my preference.

I have tried steeping and see no difference at all, tops off tops on shake every day blah blah, still tastes the same 20 seconds after I made it, only once I noticed something when I found an old bottle of cherry menthol under the sofa it tasted good, maybe better not sure, might of just forgot that it was ok in the first place, I am not convinced about steeping at all, I would like to see some sort of test from say 50 vapers blind testing the same juice at intervals of like 1 hour 1 day 1 week and 1 month of mixing, and I bet the 1 month mix would not win. But then again I am a cynical old twat.

Some flavours definitely change with time. FA butterscotch, for example, tastes ok straight away, but rhere’s a point at about 2 weeks where the flavour just suddenly bursts out. Coincides with the colour change.

Well more people seem to think steeping important than not so they can't all be wrong, maybe I just have bad taste buds or something, got some in the cupboard now in a 100ml bottle with top off , will mix same one in about 2 weeks and ask wife and her mate to try them both and see which they think is best.

Back
Top Bottom