What's new

Testing and comparing

• Thread starter Deleted member 58360
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58360

This has probably been covered, but apparently I'm incapable of explaining what I'm looking for to a search algorithm :D

Ok, so...

How is this supposed to work?

I mixed up a few juices and (probably very prematurely) gave them a go in an RDA or two, rewicking and cleaning coils between flavours, all good so far.

The wife tried some, and I duly filled the tank of her nunchaku atty with one she found acceptable.

It's entirely different.

Now, that's not a massive surprise due to stock coil vs built, different chamber, etc etc.

But how to account for it without the hassle of cleaning out the tank and dealing with a contaminated stock coil?

Question number B...

How does nicotine affect flavour, and process?

Mix up zero nic for testing (I'll get dizzy if I go through the same amount with nic) so how to add?

I can easily maintain ratios and add nic/base/concentrate when the juice is ready, but then the added part is obviously unsteeped...

And if the presence of nic influences the flavour, how to account for that in test batches?

I know I should just try all the ways, but I'm hugely impatient - people seem to steep for longer than I've been vaping ;)

Nothing premature about trying a mix fresh from the shake, I prefer some mixes fresh rather than steeped. Fruits are generally better fresher and custards, bakeries and (some) tobaccos need a steep.

What's the recipe you were using? Might help us, might not.

Are you using 72mg nic or nic shots? If it's 72mg nic then you're only adding 0.43/0.44g per 10ml to your mix, assuming 3mg. If a little is gone from testing I'm sure you'll not notice the difference going 0.5mg either side. Using nic shots will affect the flavour more because you'll be "watering down" your juice (think adding water to cordial).

Ultimately if the nic is getting you dizzy why not mix up your batches with half the nic? Or maybe you're vaping more nic than you need already? I mix all my testers at 3mg which is what I vape, then I just treat it as any of juice and vape away.

It's a tricky one because nicotine and steeping affect the flavour, but I've found that if I don't like a flavour when first mixed I'm never going to like it.

I would suggest mixing the testers with nic in them like @Horrand says. Nic does affect the flavour, and also is crucial in the flavours that need to steep, I find.

What's the recipe you were using? Might help us, might not.

Not sure it'd make much difference for the purpose of the questions, but concentrates from vapable.

The biggest problem is getting consistency 'twixt stock coil tank and RDA...

Are you using 72mg nic or nic shots? If it's 72mg nic then you're only adding 0.43/0.44g per 10ml to your mix, assuming 3mg. If a little is gone from testing I'm sure you'll not notice the difference going 0.5mg either side. Using nic shots will affect the flavour more because you'll be "watering down" your juice (think adding water to cordial).

18mg shots only.

The change to the formula isn't a problem - I can add appropriate amounts of base and flavour to compensate for any dilution or ratio change caused by the shots.

What's more difficult for me to predict is what effect the actual nicotine itself has on a flavour.

Different taste or only noticeable to discerning buds?

Ultimately if the nic is getting you dizzy why not mix up your batches with half the nic? Or maybe you're vaping more nic than you need already? I mix all my testers at 3mg which is what I vape, then I just treat it as any of juice and vape away

I know roughly how much I "need" of 3mg, but that doesn't account for trying multiple experiments, or for entertainment clouds ;)

The biggest problem is getting consistency 'twixt stock coil tank and RDA...

If by consistency, you mean tasting the same, then this an unlikely outcome. I have yet to experience any one mix ever tasting the same in any tank or dripper. Every device is different and some are more different than others. It's one of the great mysteries of vaping, for me at least.

If by consistency, you mean tasting the same, then this an unlikely outcome. I have yet to experience any one mix ever tasting the same in any tank or dripper. Every device is different and some are more different than others. It's one of the great mysteries of vaping, for me at least.

I wouldn't expect the same due to the myriad differences in build, but an approximation would be a nice start :D

I can put something in the tank and it's lovely, then same stuff in one of the RDAs is tasteless.

Or something tasteless in the tank is full of flavour in an RDA.

Or something smooth and subtle in an RDA burns your throat in the tank.

It's a real issue for a beginner, because testing using the tank would mean burning through expensive stock coils - plus I don't actually use the bloody thing anyway (I have the squonk, or RDAs, or RTA) , so the juice has to please the wife...

Saying "here, try this" and then having it utterly different in her tank...

Is there a solution?

I wouldn't expect the same due to the myriad differences in build, but an approximation would be a nice start :D

I can put something in the tank and it's lovely, then same stuff in one of the RDAs is tasteless.

It's a real issue for a beginner, because testing using the tank would mean burning through expensive stock coils - plus I don't actually use the bloody thing anyway (I have the squonk, or RDAs, or RTA) , so the juice has to please the wife...

Is there a solution?

Get her an RTA and you do the wicking if that's why she's on stock coils?

Failing that. Divorce.

Is there a solution?
I test my juice in the devices im going to vape them in.
I might test flavours but the end juice needs to be tested in the end device.
Its the only way to get it right. IMO

Get her an RTA and you do the wicking if that's why she's on stock coils?

Failing that. Divorce.

I have the missus completely converted to RTAs with the exception of the Nunchaku, which she loves for aesthetic reasons more than anything else.

Back
Top Bottom