What's new

rethinking flavour

Interestingly, sucralose is made from sugar apparently.
It’s derived from it - an altered molecule or something or other

Sucralose is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose in a multistep synthesis, which substitutes three of the hydroxyl groups of sucrose with chlorine atoms. This chlorination is achieved by selective protection of a primary alcohol group, followed by chlorination of the partially acetylated sugar with excess chlorinating agent, and then by removal of the acetyl groups to give the desired sucralose product.

according to wiki

Actually no on the artificial point.
Not all flavours are “artificial”

the majority of flavours contain at least some compounds that are natural.

and even if they don’t the compounds used to create them are generally as a rule the same compounds or very similar to what is in the natural form.

the whole “natural v artificial” thing is largely a bit of a smoke screen.

An eliquid flavouring is a composite of chemicals.

A natural flavouring is also a composite of chemicals

it’s pretty much the same at the end of the day - with the possibility of course that you theoretically can have more control over totally artificial.

I guess everything a composite of chemicals at the end of the day (except shit found in the periodic table)? And how does one define "natural"? Plastic comes from oil which occurs naturally, even if it's been fracked.

As far as I'm aware the term "natural flavourings" is pretty dodgy. It doesn't mean that your strawberry sweeties are actually flavoured with strawberries. And in this context, I can't imagine a strawberry vape juice where the sweetness is provided by the fructose found in strawberries.

Gonna shut up now before I get bollocked by @zouzounaki for going off topic. But it's an interesting topic to chat over with a pro mixologist.

Sucralose is manufactured by the selective chlorination of sucrose in a multistep synthesis, which substitutes three of the hydroxyl groups of sucrose with chlorine atoms. This chlorination is achieved by selective protection of a primary alcohol group, followed by chlorination of the partially acetylated sugar with excess chlorinating agent, and then by removal of the acetyl groups to give the desired sucralose product.
Pffft I could have told you that.

It’s not sway - they will do it for anyone

mid you want to buy 5ltrs of a given concentrate ... that’s the trade off

I have a black pepper flavouring I use at exactly 1% in a liquid 3ltrs of which is about to go out of date.
I'd love 10ml to play with - I'd happily pay for postage and a bottle!

I don't quite know why we ended up talking about sweetener - I don't add any extra. But I've noticed some of my low % mixes are overwhelmingly sweet!

I'd love 10ml to play with - I'd happily pay for postage and a bottle!

I don't quite know why we ended up talking about sweetener - I don't add any extra. But I've noticed some of my low % mixes are overwhelmingly sweet!

aye, mine taste sweeter as well. he says in his interview the interplay of the flavours of vg and pg are important for him when mixing, which made me wonder if not overloading the liquid with concentrates allows the sweetness of the vg to be present in the mix.

0.1 percent sweetner on its own zou ?

definitely none.

aye, mine taste sweeter as well. he says in his interview the interplay of the flavours of vg and pg are important for him when mixing, which made me wonder if not overloading the liquid with concentrates allows the sweetness of the vg to be present in the mix.

definitely none.
Yeah, three of his juices are the same recipe with just different brands of VG/PG (or weegeepeegee as he puts it)

I've just changed to Darkstar VG after 4 years or Lubrisolve - It's way sweeter

Yeah, three of his juices are the same recipe with just different brands of VG/PG (or weegeepeegee as he puts it)

I've just changed to Darkstar VG after 4 years or Lubrisolve - It's way sweeter
Now we're moving into controversy questioning differing sweetness of VG.
I tried this a while ago and it didn't go well but it's true some are sweeter than others.

I DIY my liquids and do tend to lower percentages of flavourings but nothing like a total combined percentage of less than three, I would normally be between 12 to 18% apart from some NET tobaccos (not made for several years now) when I would only have 3 to 5% flavour. I will make something a perhaps half my normal % and see what I think.
The Tom Klark interview was interesting.

Back
Top Bottom