What's new

rethinking flavour

^^ I'm with this guy. All the flavours are artifical anyway (....aren't they....?!?!). So anything that gives you a sweet flavour is by definition an artifical sweetener. It's not like my toffee vape has any toffee in it.

Isn't avoiding sweeteners like making a dessert with chocolate, marshmallow, toffee and biscuits, and then feeling pleased with yourself because you didn't add any sugar?
Actually no on the artificial point.
Not all flavours are “artificial”

the majority of flavours contain at least some compounds that are natural.

and even if they don’t the compounds used to create them are generally as a rule the same compounds or very similar to what is in the natural form.

the whole “natural v artificial” thing is largely a bit of a smoke screen.

An eliquid flavouring is a composite of chemicals.

A natural flavouring is also a composite of chemicals

it’s pretty much the same at the end of the day - with the possibility of course that you theoretically can have more control over totally artificial.

that's either just semantics or they are just using 'sweetener' to mean 'sucralose'

..how do you make a flavour like Marshmallow without putting sweet tasting artificial compounds in it? ... and what are they if they aren't 'artifical sweeteners' ?

I think it's all bollocks, to be honest. :D

i think they are using sweetener to refer to the substances that are referred to as artificial sweeteners. they are used to sweeten other flavours because they have little or no taste by themselves, other than sweet.

anyway what the fk has happened here? if you’s want to have a debate about sweeteners away and start your own thread, this is the super taster’s thread about low percentage mixing only! :P

that's either just semantics or they are just using 'sweetener' to mean 'sucralose'

..how do you make a flavour like Marshmallow without putting sweet tasting artificial compounds in it? ... and what are they if they aren't 'artifical sweeteners' ?

I think it's all bollocks, to be honest. :D
Marshmallow generally contains loads of EM - a sweetener :)

Actually no on the artificial point.
Not all flavours are “artificial”

the majority of flavours contain at least some compounds that are natural.

and even if they don’t the compounds used to create them are generally as a rule the same compounds or very similar to what is in the natural form.

the whole “natural v artificial” thing is largely a bit of a smoke screen.

An eliquid flavouring is a composite of chemicals.

A natural flavouring is also a composite of chemicals

it’s pretty much the same at the end of the day - with the possibility of course that you theoretically can have more control over totally artificial.

Interestingly, sucralose is made from sugar apparently.

i think they are using sweetener to refer to the substances that are referred to as artificial sweeteners. they are used to sweeten other flavours because they have little or no taste by themselves, other than sweet.

So just marketing then.

A really sweet compound that has a vanilla note isn't an 'artificial sweetener' and all good to use, but a less sweet tasting compound that doesn't taste of anything is an evil 'sweetener' that they wouldn't dare to use in their flavourings. .... that makes sense to you?

So just marketing then.

A really sweet compound that has a vanilla note isn't an 'artificial sweetener' and all good to use, but a less sweet tasting compound that doesn't taste of anything is an evil 'sweetener' that they wouldn't dare to use in their flavourings. .... that makes sense to you?

yes, i do get your point. i don’t think they are suggesting sweeteners are evil necessarily though, i’ve always assumed they state this to appeal to a particular taste.

for example i like FA caramel and use it in mixes, but i think a lot of people don’t like it so much because it tastes a bit dry and isn’t particularly sweet. in the same way, i’ve not liked other caramels i’ve tried (i think you recommended two ages ago) partly because i find them too sweet (but also because they taste a bit muddy and confused and one of them wrecked the cotton after one or two tanks).

yes, i do get your point. i don’t think they are suggesting sweeteners are evil necessarily though, i’ve always assumed they state this to appeal to a particular taste.

for example i like FA caramel and use it in mixes, but i think a lot of people don’t like it so much because it tastes a bit dry and isn’t particularly sweet. in the same way, i’ve not liked other caramels i’ve tried (i think you recommended two ages ago) partly because i find them too sweet (but also because they taste a bit muddy and confused and one of them wrecked the cotton after one or two tanks).

Ok, I see that makes sense..... and yeah I do find FA caramel dry, to the point that for me it's not a realistic caramel... which is fine, that leaves you the option of sweetening to taste with your choice of sweetener. To be fair that pretty cool, you can always add sweetener but you can't take it out of flavourings that already are very sweet.

Ok, I see that makes sense..... and yeah I do find FA caramel dry, to the point that for me it's not a realistic caramel... which is fine, that leaves you the option of sweetening to taste with your choice of sweetener. To be fair that pretty cool, you can always add sweetener but you can't take it out of flavourings that already are very sweet.

i don’t mind a bit of sweetness but the FA is quite palatable to me as it is. i think the other factor for me is that i actually dislike the taste of the common artificial sweeteners (ie the ones they say they don’t use. i know the idea is they don’t have a taste but bear with me!), i have bought some highly rated premixed shortfills before and liked them at first but after a while found i could taste it, and eventually it was all i could really taste from it. horrid.

Back
Top Bottom