What's new

rethinking flavour

zouzounaki

Olympian
so inspired by something @domejunky has been doing, and had discussed a bit in the tobacco recipes thread, i have been mixing with drastically less concentrate for the past week and a bit or so.

i’ve been finding that mixing with total amounts of flavour at less than 0.5%, the liquid tastes much better. with tobacco flavours, but also custard type ones. subtle notes come through that i hadn’t detected at higher percentages. sometimes the flavour tastes stronger than at more conventional percentages, bizarrely. i find now after mainly puffing these few bottles i’ve mixed as an experiment, that i am struggling with older stronger bottles. it tastes cloying and over flavoured and i can’t get through a ml or two of it. i used to, from time to time, get really sick of all flavours and spend a few days puffing plain liquid. i think this might be why.

anybody else tried this? i would recommend it.

0.2% INW custard
0.2% FA custard
1 or 2 drops FA condensed milk.

after 3 days, this tastes fantastic.

0.2% FA tuscan reserve
0.1% FA cigar passion
0.1% FA desert ship
0.1% FA licorizia plus

excellent. i think the possibilities will be endless.

Maybe that's where I went wrong with my initial tobacco trials @zouzanaki. I'll mix another bunch up at much lower %'s and see what they're like. Do you find you have to steep for longer with these lower %'s or are they pretty much good to go?

Wonder what they might taste like after a while... fresh n strong concentrates I get it, wonder if they will fade

i’m thinking it won’t fade any more than a stronger mix, percentage wise. the custard one didn’t taste of anything really, freshly mixed, flavour has started coming out about 3 days in. i’m wondering if there might be an effect on steep times?
Maybe that's where I went wrong with my initial tobacco trials @zouzanaki. I'll mix another bunch up at much lower %'s and see what they're like. Do you find you have to steep for longer with these lower %'s or are they pretty much good to go?

i’m finding the flavour is there pretty quick, the tobacco blends taste better after a week but the flavour was there after a day.

i’m away to mix up some am4a at 0.2% to see how that works out.

The thing that got me started on it was an interview with Tom Klark - he's quite an extreme juice maker - only strives for all day vapes, fasts during recipe development and crucially uses tiny amounts of flavouring...

so Inspired by this I took one of my recipes - which to be fair had potential, but was a bit confused - and mixed it up with 1/10th the concentrates - and it's remarkable

Khazi Cigar 2.0.4

Brazilian Coffee (SC) - Wonder Flavours / 0.3%
Cardamom - Flavour Art / 0.2%
Dx Caramel Original - The Perfumers Apprentice / 0.2%
Dx Peanut Butter - The Perfumers Apprentice / 0.5%
Raspberry - The Perfumers Apprentice / 0.1%
Tobacco Cavendish Type (Wera Garden) - Inawera / 0.2%
Tobacco, DNB (Dirty Neutral Base) - Inawera / 0.2%
Virginia - Inawera / 0.4%

Flavor total: 2.1

I then tried it on an all day vape - the irony is I'd been buying the concentrates for this in ever bigger bottles - so now I have enough to make a few litres

Perique RY4

Caribbean Blend - Inawera / 0.75%
Perique Black - Inawera / 0.25%
Tobacco, DNB (Dirty Neutral Base) - Inawera / 0.2%

Flavor total: 1.2

Recently I've been curious how it works with creams and bakeries - so I tried started with an aborted attempt to make a Pear Tart Tatin - and it ended up here - not finished, but I'm vaping it now and it's really good

Pear Tarte Tatin

Bavarian Cream - The Perfumers Apprentice / 0.2%
Butter Tart (SC) - Wonder Flavours / 0.4%
Caribbean Blend - Inawera / 0.4%
Jasmine (Gelsomino) - Flavour Art / 0.6%
Nut Mix - Flavour Art / 0.2%
Pear - Inawera / 0.2%
Vanilla Custard v2 - Capella / 0.2%

Flavor total: 2.2

I am finding that juices steep overnight - even custards. They get really tight after a week, and then they seem stable - I'm a 6-8 weeks into some recipes, and no sign of fading. Even really troubling concentrates like Cardamon. like @zouzounaki said - my existing juices just taste, too strong, too confused and fatiguing

Aye, I considered 3 days a fresh mix..lol

aye me too, i have some concentrates that i let to sit for 2 months before puffing them. i do t think these will fade, not any worse than stronger mixes and i suspect maybe less.

Not as low as perhaps it should be for this thread, but I'm loving this one, lose the super sweet if it makes you rage up:

Shady Butter :

0.20% Connecticut Shade (Flavorah)
1.50% Peanut Butter (LA)
0.50% Super Sweet (CAP)

love it when people start threads beginning with the word "so”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom