What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Noob looking for basic info.

gazsus

Hi,

I've been a lurker here for a while and have found the huge amount of information to be very helpful. Now, I've decided to move into DIY juice but, despite lots of reading, I'm not sure that I understand things.

I prefer simple vaping; I have 3 Aspire Nautilus tanks on 3 box mods. I was using the 1.6 ohm coils for a long time but I recently switched to the 0.7 ohm coils, I'm obviously going through more juice so I want to make my own to save money.

I'm only interested in menthol/ice menthol, nothing else. I have no intention of experimenting with any other flavour.

What I'd like help with is roughly how much of each component to purchase to get started. I have the syringes, bottles, gloves, goggles, etc. What I don't have yet is the actual liquids. I have bookmarked a bunch of sellers of PG, VG, Nicotine and flavours (all recommended here).

I plan to end up with 50/50 PG/VG at 6mg nicotine and a simple ice menthol taste.

I have the PG and VG purchases lined up (1lt of each) but the nicotine and flavour part is leaving me dumb.

One site, Vapable, has an '18mg nicotine shot' option, is this what I should be going for? If that is suitable, how much of it should I get? There's a 100ml option but I don't know if that is too much or too little.
Vapable also offers 'Extreme Ice Flavor West Concentrate' which sounds right for me, should I only buy 10ml at first in case it doesn't live up to its name?

Once all the ingredients are here I'll be using the POTV calculator app, then tweaking the results to my taste.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Hi,

I've been a lurker here for a while and have found the huge amount of information to be very helpful. Now, I've decided to move into DIY juice but, despite lots of reading, I'm not sure that I understand things.

I prefer simple vaping; I have 3 Aspire Nautilus tanks on 3 box mods. I was using the 1.6 ohm coils for a long time but I recently switched to the 0.7 ohm coils, I'm obviously going through more juice so I want to make my own to save money.

I'm only interested in menthol/ice menthol, nothing else. I have no intention of experimenting with any other flavour.

What I'd like help with is roughly how much of each component to purchase to get started. I have the syringes, bottles, gloves, goggles, etc. What I don't have yet is the actual liquids. I have bookmarked a bunch of sellers of PG, VG, Nicotine and flavours (all recommended here).

I plan to end up with 50/50 PG/VG at 6mg nicotine and a simple ice menthol taste.

I have the PG and VG purchases lined up (1lt of each) but the nicotine and flavour part is leaving me dumb.

One site, Vapable, has an '18mg nicotine shot' option, is this what I should be going for? If that is suitable, how much of it should I get? There's a 100ml option but I don't know if that is too much or too little.
Vapable also offers 'Extreme Ice Flavor West Concentrate' which sounds right for me, should I only buy 10ml at first in case it doesn't live up to its name?

Once all the ingredients are here I'll be using the POTV calculator app, then tweaking the results to my taste.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

So do you run menthol in all three tanks? 100ml of 18mg nicotine will make 300ml of finished juice at 6mg.

Another cheeky tip for DIY menthol concentrate....

Go to your local chemist and ask for menthol crystals.

Should come in a little tub for about £2.

Crush it up really finely in between a folded sheet of A4 paper, put it into an empty 30mls bottle and top it up with PG.

Give it a good shake and BOOM!

30ml of Menthol concentrate!

Use very sparingly (about 5%)

Enjoy!

Edit: @StrawberryRipple beat me to it!

Hi,

I like the Inawara Menthol at Vapable - I found it doesn't leave as strong an after taste as some but still has a good menthol hit, I would start of at 5% concentrate in your mix at most. It might be an idea to order two or three different bottles of mint/menthol not just the one otherwise you are stuck if you don't like it and you will be surprised how different menthols can be. It might be worth getting a bottle of mint, I know you said you only like menthol but it can give a bit more depth of flavour and something like Vapables own brand peppermint is only £1.49 for 10ml. My own adv is 2% Inawera menthol, 15% Vapable pep and 5% sweetener, again that's another thing, how sweet is you current juice a little bit of Ethyl Maltol, which is only £1.49 could help if you like a little sweetness.

If you add 3ml of 18mg 50/50 to 3ml of Vg and 3ml of Pg you can put in 0.5ml of menthol, shake and vape, that's 9.5ml of 5.68mg juice with 5% flavouring. Not exactly 6mg 50/50 but pretty close and an easy starting point.

If you go down the menthol crystal route don't rub your eyes if you get any on your finger, its potent stuff.

daz_app and garth, thank you very much for your suggestions.

I knew this was the place to come for helpful advice. I'll visit a couple of pharmacies today to see what they have, I'll also order a few items from Vapable.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

So do you run menthol in all three tanks? 100ml of 18mg nicotine will make 300ml of finished juice at 6mg.
Sorry, I missed your post earlier.
Yes, I use menthol or ice menthol in all tanks. I've tried various flavours in the past but I get quickly tired of everything but menthol. When I smoked I rolled with menthol tobacco, I guess the flavour is now ingrained.
Thanks for that simple explanation with numbers, that's the sort of rounded numbers I'm looking for. Now I have a basic idea of what I'll use to get what I need, it's very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom