What's new

Nicotine ruining my mixes...?

Bucket

Postman
Hi there,

I've posted a few times recently, mostly about my mixes not tasting very good... I'm using an Aspire Zelos with a Nautilus 2 tank, 0.7 coil and generally set between 18-20w, MTL.

Now I'm almost positive that this isn't user error, I've meticulously followed a few popular recipes and I have the same taste and kind of a lack of sweetness running through every mix I do.

At first I thought maybe it was the flavourings, but as the problem persists with any mix I do, then this rules out the flavourings.

Then I thought it was the PG/VG. I was using Lubrisolve PG/VG and I just bought some more from Vapable to double-check... still, the taste remains.

Now this leaves the nicotine... I got this 72mg nicotine from Darkstar in early July. It is split into 100ml amber glass bottles and is placed in the freezer. It has taken on a very slight pink hue, which I believe is normal, and the smell is very faint - kind of a wheaty/fishy kind of smell, very hard to describe but it isn't really unpleasant and it doesn't smell strong, definitely no pepper smell.

So this nicotine appears to be ok... but could it actually be the offender in my mixes?

I'm really baffled and sick of not getting a solid mix to vape...

I really don't want to have to use nic shots, seems just ridiculous! I'm half-tempted to buy some more nicotine to try from nicotine72mg.co.uk. Can anybody vouch for this company...?

Could anybody offer any advice here please, I'd love to get to the bottom of this...

Thanks for any help given!

Have you tried vaping a mix without the nicotine, that would give an indication of whether the mix tasted and good to start with.
I have seen someone recomended at a straight vg/pg mix with correct nic added to also rule out the nic, as you shouldn't be able to taste it
What mg nic are you ending up with in your mixes?

10mg nic in my mixes...

Yeh, I've done all the PG/VG, no nic, nic added tests...

Funny thing is - I was sure it was the PG. I vaped PG alone and got the same flavour, so that led me to believe it was the PG, plus it was really bitter when I tasted it so I thought that's why my mixes lacked the depth of flavour and sweetness...

But now I just don't know, it'd be handy to have a dripper to test properly because at the minute I'm just putting it in the tank, so I may be tasting what was in there previously. Ideally I'd want a fresh coil in every time, I suppose...

I'm at the point now though where I'm second guessing everything and I don't think I even trust my own senses!

a dripper would make things alot easier, sorry I am all out now, hopefully someone with alot more knowledge than me will be along soon

Are the recipies designed for 10mg strength?
Nic will certainly overpower/battle with flavourings.

Are the recipies designed for 10mg strength?
Nic will certainly overpower/battle with flavourings.

Hi mate,

Ah, really...? I wasn't aware of this, it makes sense though...

I've made Bronuts and Custard King, both have this same kind of aftertaste, as does any other mix I do...

Everything kind of ends up tasting the same'ish, to a certain degree... or at least this same taste on the end of the exhale.

I've ordered some different nic from nicotine72mg.co.uk to see if there is any difference. I've been through 3 different PG's, 2 different VG's and numerous concentrates, so I know they're not the problem.

So should I be upping the %'s? It's just that everyone is saying 'don't over-flavour' all the time... mind you, I'm MTL at 10mg and the majority of people seem to be DTL at 3/6mg!

Thanks a lot!

Have you grown fond of the taste of nic?
It happens and if so you may find upping the flavour strength makes it worse but in the same vein if you lower the flavour percentage you may find the taste better.
Experiment with a little less flavour or a little more. If it's the strength of flavour overpowering the taste of the nic you'll see an immediate difference.

I'm not sure what the taste of nic is? If it's the taste I'm getting now, then no, definitely not...

So that would mean lessening the flavour would leave me with more of the undesirable taste... I'll try upping everything a little, see how that goes. At the moment everything is mixed between 7-12%, give or take.

So does a MTL mix at 10mg generally require more flavour than a DTL mix at 3mg? Almost every mix I see is 3/6mg, and I'm assuming for a DTL setup.

Ta.

I don't MTL at the moment but may return one day but I would certainly increase flavour strength if I were making MTL juice.

Back
Top Bottom