What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Nic and mixing question

ObiWanVaponi

Staff member
I'm building a magnetic stirrer cos my crumbling old bones are having trouble shaking my mixes, plus its an interesting project I've set myself.

The question is how long does it take for nic to degrade while been mixed? I was planning to mix up in a beaker and decant once stirred up, but obviously thats got a wide open mouth and its probably going to be churning away for half hour or more so would it be better to find a bottle with a lid? or will it be so negligible as to not worry about?

Cheers for any thoughts

Once mixed into a liquid, about a year.............

Post could have been clearer tbh.
I took it that you meant while its being mixed in an open top beaker?

Post could have been clearer tbh.
I took it that you meant while its being mixed in an open top beaker?
yeah. should've also said its 72% nic, not shots.
so to be clear - put nic, VG, PG and flavour all in this:
AC070569l.jpg

put a little magnetic bar in it and leave it stirring until its mixed.
Obviously its wide open so the molecules will escape and/or degrade with such a large surface area. The question would be how quickly. Probably better to use a bottle with a lid?
Should also add that the liquid will be agitated with the mixing process (obvs) so that'll probably speed up the molecule loss althoug I won't be running the stirrer at top speed.

Last edited:
yeah. should've also said its 72% nic, not shots.
so to be clear - put nic, VG, PG and flavour all in this:
View attachment 159968

put a little magnetic bar in it and leave it stirring until its mixed.
Obviously its wide open so the molecules will escape and/or degrade with such a large surface area. The question would be how quickly. Probably better to use a bottle with a lid?
Should also add that the liquid will be agitated with the mixing process (obvs) so that'll probably speed up the molecule loss althoug I won't be running the stirrer at top speed.
Thought so.
As i said before it will be fine.
I use a stick blender and the only thing its likely to do is oxygenate it slightly which would help with the "steep" time.
It would also help to evapourate any perfume constituent fumes from the flavourings if present which will actually help. :2thumbsup:

Cheers. I've read so many contradictory "facts" about mixing its very hard to sift out the fake news. I've got a little coffee foamer thing that i've pulled the top off so it's just a whizzing stick with a little bend in the top. Then i read that aerating kills everything. I was heating the VG slightly to help it incorporate, then I read heat kills everything. Got an ultrasonic cleaner but i'm not sure that even works without a damn good shake as well. (It does smash up tinfoil, so it appears to work) its only got a three minute timer anyway, so the next experiment is the magnetic stirrer. Still, keeps me quiet. :22:

Cheers. I've read so many contradictory "facts" about mixing its very hard to sift out the fake news. I've got a little coffee foamer thing that i've pulled the top off so it's just a whizzing stick with a little bend in the top. Then i read that aerating kills everything. I was heating the VG slightly to help it incorporate, then I read heat kills everything. Got an ultrasonic cleaner but i'm not sure that even works without a damn good shake as well. (It does smash up tinfoil, so it appears to work) its only got a three minute timer anyway, so the next experiment is the magnetic stirrer. Still, keeps me quiet. :22:

I don't know if any of those things work as I've never tried them. A quick shake (it doesn't take much if you've left space in the bottle), then forget about it for the next 1 - 6 months.

As @Ment says you dont need much really.
Mix it well and aeration does no detrament whatsoever and can help speed up "steeping".
Warm it to just above 18 degrees C as the VG will mix far better.
Bottle it and smell it the next day.
If the concentrates used are fruits and have any ethanol in you may get a perfume smell.
If so expell the air before putting the lid back on and giving it a good shake.
Smell it again the next day and repeat until smell gone then just leave it a few more days if fruits.
If its creams, custards, biscuits, pastries etc then just mix very well, bottle and leave for as lòoooong as possible upto 8-12 weeks for best results maybe shake once a week.

Back
Top Bottom