What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

mixing with scales

That’s no right. Water is 1g to 1ml. pg can’t be the same, I don’t think.

were no talking exact micro science here.....its a generalised acceptance that mixing by weight it's easier to equate 1g to 1ml for flavours...vg/nic are different....you could get each individual concentrates specific weight from the manufacture....or weigh 10mls n divide....but its hassle and more often than not, not far from the 1.0g - 1.0ml...its negligible for us DIY'ers

Last edited:
the 25 drops was an example all i know is that the 14 drops for 7% but when on scales its more drops to make 0.7 g in weight which should be 7% also im not counting but when i get to 14 drops on the scales it no where near 0.7 g

lol...that's cos your counting:)

i see what you mean but with more drops the flavour has got to be stronger so my 14 drops carn't be 7% in the first place

were no talking exact micro science here.....its a generalised acceptance that mixing by weight it's easier to equate 1g to 1ml for flavours...vg/nic are different....you could get each individual concentrates specific weight from the manufacture....or weigh 10mls n divide....but its hassle and more often than not, not far from the 1.0g - 1.0ml...its negligible for us DIY'ers

Does that no defeat the point of the claim that mixing by weight is more accurate though? I’m no trying to be a pain in the arse here, mind, just wondering... :P

Does that no defeat the point of the claim that mixing by weight is more accurate though? I’m no trying to be a pain in the arse here, mind, just wondering... :P

I know your no.....but as @triballofts has proved mixing by drops is a nonsense.....as I said if you want to be super accurate, it's possible by weight...using beakers n the like less so, as you are leaving residue behind.
I still do both, depending on amount to be mixed....by weight less hassle less clean up....I only have a pipette to bin that I used for nic...that's it.

Last edited:
Aye, of course using only drops to mix isn’t accurate. However, using drops has a place. For example, I add one drop per 10ml of FA condensed milk to liquids that want a creamy effect. This one drop per 10ml is the perfect amount for me. The drops are always the same size, as it comes from the same bottle. So the amount added to every liquid it goes in to is consistent. I have no idea what the volume or weight of this would be, but whatever amount it is, I’ve found it to be perfect for me. This is the same for things like cardamom and other spice, herb, floral flavours where a small trace is all that’s needed. There is no advantage to trying to weigh this.

Also, the residue left in the cylinders will generally be a fairly consistent amount, so if you use these exclusively for mixing your measurements will generally be consistent, and since I mix purely for my own personal use, there is no real need for accuracy other than to satisfy my own preference. So if some inherent inaccuracy is consistent, it becomes negligible. No? It’s simply a matter of preference really.

Last edited:
The volume and weight of a "droplet" will be determined by a) the viscosity of the liquid b) the vacuum in the bottle holding the liquid back c) the size of the spout dripping from.
Mixing by drops is probably as accurate as "a little bit of this and a little bit of that".
Mixing by weight is also flawed however it can be extremely consistent if the perameters remain the same.
Mixing by volume is always going to be easier to replicate.

Sounds like youre going to have to learn all over again.

Aye, of course using only drops to mix isn’t accurate. However, using drops has a place. For example, I add one drop per 10ml of FA condensed milk to liquids that want a creamy effect. This one drop per 10ml is the perfect amount for me. The drops are always the same size, as it comes from the same bottle. So the amount added to every liquid it goes in to is consistent. I have no idea what the volume or weight of this would be, but whatever amount it is, I’ve found it to be perfect for me. This is the same for things like cardamom and other spice, herb, floral flavours where a small trace is all that’s needed. There is no advantage to trying to weigh this.

Also, the residue left in the cylinders will generally be a fairly consistent amount, so if you use these exclusively for mixing your measurements will generally be consistent, and since I mix purely for my own personal use, there is no real need for accuracy other than to satisfy my own preference. So if some inherent inaccuracy is consistent, it becomes negligible. No? It’s simply a matter of preference really.

I also sometimes use the odd drop, woodsmoke comes to mind, so there you have it, I use the odd drop, volume at times and weight most of the time as its my preference....I hate doing the dishes.
As I have experience of all three methods and you do not, either buy a set of scales n try or shup:P

Last edited:
The volume and weight of a "droplet" will be determined by a) the viscosity of the liquid b) the vacuum in the bottle holding the liquid back c) the size of the spout dripping from.
Mixing by drops is probably as accurate as "a little bit of this and a little bit of that".
Mixing by weight is also flawed however it can be extremely consistent if the perameters remain the same.
Mixing by volume is always going to be easier to replicate.

Sounds like youre going to have to learn all over again.
so you would recommend mixing with syringes then in mls

Back
Top Bottom