What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

mixing with scales

triballofts

Postman
hi just bought some scales to mix with as i have always mixed using drop before 20 drops to 1 ml the problem i am having is when i use the scales there seems to be hell of a lot more drops to get it to grams and percentages seem a lot stronger has any one else found this thanks

From what I understand a "drop" is a massive variable as you have no real control of the size.... Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable DIY apes will come along soon to help... I'd head over to e liquid recipes. Com you can make a recipe and it'll give you weights in grams... The scales you bought do they weigh as small as. 001?

Never mixed by drops before.
Drops are a tricky thing to relate to using either syringes, or scales.
Essentially drops are mixing by volume, as with syringes, but with drops you are relying on viscosity (thickness) of the liquid, rather than a set volume, say a 1ml syringe.
So twenty drops of VG will be slightly different in actual volume, than 20 drops of PG.
Then of course you are using scales, this is then mixing by weight, and the VG & PG with be different weights per 1ml.
But at the end of the day we mix by percent in all methods, so basically if you mix 70mg of VG with 30mg of PG you will be about right, but may have to adjust this slightly for personal preference.
If you want to get really technical you can find out the weight per litre of the VG, PG, flavour concentrate etc from the supplier.
But at the end of the day you mix up what percentage (whether by weight, or volume) that suits you. that the great thing about DIY juice.
Hope this helps.

yea scales go down to .01 it the flavours that seem to be the problem say 20 drops to the 1 ml by bottle but when done by gs it more drops so alters recipe making it stronger flavour wise

Never mixed by drops before.
Drops are a tricky thing to relate to using either syringes, or scales.
Essentially drops are mixing by volume, as with syringes, but with drops you are relying on viscosity (thickness) of the liquid, rather than a set volume, say a 1ml syringe.
So twenty drops of VG will be slightly different in actual volume, than 20 drops of PG.
Then of course you are using scales, this is then mixing by weight, and the VG & PG with be different weights per 1ml.
But at the end of the day we mix by percent in all methods, so basically if you mix 70mg of VG with 30mg of PG you will be about right, but may have to adjust this slightly for personal preference.
If you want to get really technical you can find out the weight per litre of the VG, PG, flavour concentrate etc from the supplier.
But at the end of the day you mix up what percentage (whether by weight, or volume) that suits you. that the great thing about DIY juice.
Hope this helps.

You can’t mix by percentage of weight. Precisely because the different liquids have different mass/volume like you say. Mixing with scales is still mixing by percentage of volume. You just convert volume to weight before you weigh it.

sound like the ones i bought it is set to g the thing is 20 drops to 1 ml with one concentrate is different to another makes dropper bottle so most of the flavour % are different wear as 7% with drops is 14 drops to 10 ml by dropper bottle on scales it might be 25 drops so make the flavour a lot stronger thats the problem im having at the moment do i back off the % in the recipes to say 1/2

If you set your grams in the calculator to 1.0g = 1.0ml for flavours....it should indeed be 7% or 0.7 mls or 14 drops.....dunno where you are getting 25 drops from...stop counting drops..if that makes sense...the 20 drops =1.0ml which you are used to maybe the issue.
test.png

If you set your grams in the calculator to 1.0g = 1.0ml for flavours....it should indeed be 7% or 0.7 mls or 14 drops.....dunno where you are getting 25 drops from...stop counting drops..if that makes sense...the 20 drops =1.0ml which you are used to maybe the issue.
View attachment 179600

That’s no right. Water is 1g to 1ml. pg can’t be the same, I don’t think.

the 25 drops was an example all i know is that the 14 drops for 7% but when on scales its more drops to make 0.7 g in weight which should be 7% also im not counting but when i get to 14 drops on the scales it no where near 0.7 g

Back
Top Bottom