What's new

Mixing by weight?

Freeflyer

Postman
Hi folks,

I noticed in quite a few threads that some folks prefer mixing by weight, rather than by volume. I am fairly new to the mix and so far have created a few good juices but use syringes to measure.

If you get some digital lab scales for example, to mix by weight, how do you know the SG of the liquids you are mixing?
Clearly water is 1, so 1mg=1ml, but what about other fluids, such as the VG, PG and flavours? I am guessing you simply mix by ratio, or percentages, is this right?

Cheers!

I use Juice Calculator by Hotrod http://diyjuicecalculator.com/ once you've got it set up it will give you the weight for the components of your recipe. As for the weights they are PG 1.038g per ml, VG 1.26g per ml, 7.2% PG nic 1.035g per ml, 7.2% VG nic 1.242g per ml. Concentrates just assume 1ml=1g or you can get the specific weights from ELR. Just make sure that your scales measure in 0.01g increments.

I use Juice Calculator by Hotrod http://diyjuicecalculator.com/ once you've got it set up it will give you the weight for the components of your recipe. As for the weights they are PG 1.038g per ml, VG 1.26g per ml, 7.2% PG nic 1.035g per ml, 7.2% VG nic 1.242g per ml. Concentrates just assume 1ml=1g or you can get the specific weights from ELR. Just make sure that your scales measure in 0.01g increments.
I have been using these measurements since you posted them in a previous thread, thanks very much! I input flavourings as 1.038g/ml though, due to assuming they are mostly PG. What do you think, better to use 1mg/ml?

People I know use 1mg = 1ml but they are not advanced mixers so it will be interesting to see what advice you get here.

I have been using these measurements since you posted them in a previous thread, thanks very much! I input flavourings as 1.038g/ml though, due to assuming they are mostly PG. What do you think, better to use 1mg/ml?
MOST (but not all) flavourings weigh nearly the same of PG @Mr Numpty I would carry on as you are.

if there is something you are not sure of get a good measuring cylinder .. and weigh out an amount to see what it weighs (say 10ml or whatever) and work it out from there.

I recommend a set of grade a: measuring cylinders .. or at least one of them

MOST (but not all) flavourings weigh nearly the same of PG @Mr Numpty I would carry on as you are.

if there is something you are not sure of get a good measuring cylinder .. and weigh out an amount to see what it weighs (say 10ml or whatever) and work it out from there.

I recommend a set of grade a: measuring cylinders .. or at least one of them
Much appreciated, thank you.

I weighed an empty syringe, then the same syringe with 1ml of <whatever ya wanna weigh> drawn into it and worked it out that way :)

Edit: if it's of any help I used this method with a few different concentrates and it averaged at 1.05g/1ml so for mixing I just go with 1g = 1ml for the sake of simplicity :)

I hadn't heard the 1ml=1g before I set up the calculator so I have all the specific gravity data from ELR or if not stated just use the PG value. All we're aiming for is a recipe that we can easily recreate and the difference between the 2 being so small if I did it again for simplicity I would have everything set as 1ml-1g.

I think if you mixing large batches then the small difference is worth taking into account, but for anything under 30ml I would just use a 1ml = 1g equation. Its easier & you'll really not notice the difference.

I used to use 1ml = 1g for flavourings and 1ml = 1.3g for VG/VG nic' for many months, but find quite a big difference using the more accurate values when mixing any volume. As we adjust our recipes to suit our needs, it doesn't matter a damn really as you're only looking for consistency on repeated mixes, but it makes most difference if swapping recipes.

Back
Top Bottom