What's new

Measuring larger amounts of VG

Generally no, however the op was looking for an accurate way to measure.
The same as no one will tell the difference between for instance 6mg and 7mg nic in a mix.
However for consistant and replicatable mixes I would always use a scale, if you however prefer mixing with syringes or pipettes, more power to you.

I mostly use just one small syringe or a small measuring cylinder. Bulk items get poured straight in, no need to measure. It’s very quick and easy.

Generally no, however the op was looking for an accurate way to measure.
The same as no one will tell the difference between for instance 6mg and 7mg nic in a mix.
However for consistant and replicatable mixes I would always use a scale, if you however prefer mixing with syringes or pipettes, more power to you.
I don't think it matters whether a home mixer uses scales or syringes, if consistency and replicability are the only goals.

The advantages of scales over syringes are:-
1. speed and ease ... no wash up at all, no need to denib and renib concentrate bottles.
2. not having to buy, use and throw away syringes ... items which are by design single use plastics. Yes, we vapers tend to get a lot more use out of them but the rubber seals do fail, with some flavours faster than others. You need a dedicated syringe and drawing needle for the nic, one syringe for every flavour being mixed (in order to avoid cross contamination), and a dedicated larger syringe and drawing needle for the VG. It's a lot of faff with no upside over scales.

I’ve been using the same syringe for about a year, and the bibs of all my concentrate bottles fit into the tip of it (apart from atmos labs dripper bottles which I measure in drips anyway). Makes for very easy, mess free and accurate measuring. No needles required, nic and vg/pg get measured in big batches in a cylinder. I have honed my own method to perfection.

Each to their own, of course.

Mix larger amounts of base VG/PG or buy it ready mixed at say 70/30 from say Lucemill

snip - don't overthink it is the short answer

Last edited:
Accuracy is overrated if you are only mixing for yourself.

it is clear from this thread that most of us who have been mixing for a while have sacrificed a bit of accuracy for an easier life.

These days I mix in a cylinder straight from the bottles, no syringes, no scale calibrations, or zeroing after each ingredient, no weighing your vg to work out the grams/ml, no batteries to replace or device to replace when it fails. Every couple of months i mix juice then have to wash one measuring cylinder. So imo if folk want to use scales that is fine by me, but saving on lots of mess and washing up is only true when scales are compared to a messy method and there are ways to mix with sufficient accuracy for most people, that do not require scales.

I sometimes use the shortcuts others use of premixing large batches of vg/pg with or without nic.
A shortcut nobody has mentioned yet is to premix your flavours once you have perfected your recipe.

Edit- Accuracy does have its place and I did learn a lot during my time accurately mixing complex flavours that has helped me with my current slap dash mixing method.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about premixing flavours @oldhippydude but then at some point I realised I like changing the ratios about for variety. Premixing them seems too permanent for me.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about premixing flavours @oldhippydude but then at some point I realised I like changing the ratios about for variety. Prefixing then seems too permanent.

It is something I did in the past, but like you I like the variety of changing ratios.

if however you have spent months perfecting a recipe that you are happy with it does make a lot of sense to make up a big batch of pre mixed flavours, not least because in my experience a short time after you have perfected your recipe at least one of your key flavours will be discontinued. I will still sometimes put two or three part bottles of similar flavour together, mainly to reduce the number of bottles I have.

Aye the cutting down on bottles is a good point. I have far too many. I might have a think about this actually, and try and consolidate a bit.

Back
Top Bottom