What's new

Making Custard In Bulk (with or without Nic?)

He has been helpful though, as have everyone else who replied.

That extra bit Mr Numpty mentioned was the missing piece. It all makes sense now.

And I’ll soon find out if I make a batch and it turns out good or not. :14:
@Mr Numpty has explained well.
I was simply explaining to make a custard.
Then make a strawberry.
Then mix them together.
This way you have control over the steep and can decide wether you want the strawberry or custard to be predominant.
Dont mean to throw spanners but in my opinion strawberry needs steeping.
Just saying.

Then make a strawberry.
Then mix them together.
This way you have control over the steep and can decide wether you want the strawberry or custard to be predominant.
Just saying.

See, I think strawberry is ok straight away, it improves with a wee bit of time but I find it can fade and i also find steeping with custard or other creamy/vanilla or complex flavours etc it can get lost.

See, I think strawberry is ok straight away, it improves with a wee bit of time but I find it can fade and i also find steeping with custard or other creamy/vanilla or complex flavours etc it can get lost.
Youre right it will fade and more than most flavours.
Cherry has got to be the worst it is impossible to retain it although i am goint to try @TheFlavourist 's tip of adding water next time im using cherry.

Then make a strawberry.
Then mix them together.
Just saying.

I agree some fruits need steeping - strawberry one of them but don’t mind waiting 7-14 days for strawberry to get ready as a posed to 4-6 weeks for say custard.

Unless you’re saying strawberry needs to steep for that long? Then we have a different situations.

Ah man.. the joys of DIY

I sometimes forget hat some people use crazy (to me) amounts of concentrates. 1 or 2 ml pg concentrate in a 50ml bottle of liquid doesn’t make a difference to the quality of the liquid that I would be able to notice.
Try over flavouring a juice and see how harsh it is or can be on the throat.
I tend to end up with 18-25% overall flavourings dependant on what im using.

I agree some fruits need steeping - strawberry one of them but don’t mind waiting 7-14 days for strawberry to get ready as a posed to 4-6 weeks for say custard.

Unless you’re saying strawberry needs to steep for that long? Then we have a different situations.

Ah man.. the joys of DIY
Depends which one.
Capella sweet is pretty good to go straight away if mixed well but the likes inawera need time, time, and time again.

The main problem is strawberry, cherry etc get lost if they steep with a complex flavour, it gets muddy and loses the flavour definition. It also fades if left too long. This is why I prefer adding it after a steep, I’d rather have the defined flavour and lose the small benefit of a wee steep, than risk it merging too much and making the liquid murky (hard to find words to describe this effect. murky? muddy? lacking definition? etc).

But it’s all subjective, some might prefer to do the opposite.

Back
Top Bottom