What's new

Long term nic storage - sterilise or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks do you think would be ok to decant 10-30ml of nicotine from the bottle in the freezer and place back in the freezer?

Bit new to the whole use your nic haha

Ok thanks do you think would be ok to decant 10-30ml of nicotine from the bottle in the freezer and place back in the freezer?

Bit new to the whole use your nic haha
Really you want as little air as possible getting to it so opening and closing the bottle to get to odd bit from is a bad idea, decant it into 100ml bottles then check the smaller bottles in the freezer and top up your fridge supply from the same bottle in the freezer every time, then the other bottles should stay fresh
https://www.ampulla.co.uk/product.asp
This is where I got mine but they are out of stock at the moment, try your local boots pharmacy, you will have to ask at the counter, maybe 5 100ml amber glass bottles.

From all I have read on storing Nic in the freezer the 2 enemies are air and moisture. Air well its self explanatory to fill as much as possible and IMO as long as your not opening and reopening the same jug it should not be a problem unless you only have a little bit in a large container. Moisture is the tricky part, even putting juice, concentrates and nic into a fridge and constantly removing and putting back condensation forms and will rancid your liquid in time. I would not recommend anything in a fridge unless you don't plan on putting it back. Same with the freezer...repeated ins and outs will condensate and ruin the nic. With Nic some plastic bottles leach, not sure which types of plastic. My nic is 100mg 50/50 for ease of mixing. I bought 500ml wiretop cobalt beer bottles, poured 500mls by weight into the bottle all at room temp and froze. I have 10 50ml amber bottles that I scaled 50mls into and also froze. I remove 1 50ml 100mg nic, thaw and cut it into 100ml of 48nic and thats what I use to mix with....once into the freezer and once out of the freezer. Thaw the next 500 and repeat with the 50ml bottles.
I spent a afternoon researching freezing concentrates and found nothing negative about doing it. I hoarded tobacco concentrates last summer especially Hangsen noticing that they are slowly disappearing from retailers shelves and not being replaced, my fears are coming true that popular vendors like RTS vapes, BullCity Flavors and some others aren't restocking hangsens so I'm glad I bought enough to last my wife and I many years. Same thing...took the tobac concentrates out of their plastic jugs and put into glass. After rinsing out the jug with PG to get every last drop then put hot water into the jug( the heat loosens the label glue) peeled off the label and onto the glass bottle then into the freezer, taped some construction paper onto each so no glass on glass contact.
I did sterilize my bottles especially when new the same way you sterilize jars for canning, removed the wire part, boiled and dried. It may be a bit overkill but I intend on storing my nic and concentrates for years so a bit of preventative measures and they should keep.

I did sterilize my bottles especially when new the same way you sterilize jars for canning, removed the wire part, boiled and dried.

I do the same. Might be over-fussy, but I buy large quantities of distilled water to boil my glassware up in (I buy it online from Lubrisolve, alomg with bottles of their VG , and other bits and pieces). If you boill in tap- water , you can actually see the mineral deposits on the bottles when you fish them out. I don't know if they would re-dissolve in the nic base, but I'd rather not risk it.

As for putting metal vessels in the freezer, that isn't done, the reason being that metals have a high coefficient of thermal expansion, and will therefore shrink, to a significant degree, at low temperatures. I would suggest that you don't want your container, nor even just your lid, deforming too much.

I've noticed two or three nic base manufacturers offering "freezer packs" . These consisted in a set s 250 ml or 500 ml glass bottles ( containinng nic -base, ofc) with plastic lids. One site cautioned against "freezing" larger bottles (more than 500ml, IIRC)

I put "freezing!" in quotes because nic base doesn't actually freeze normal freezer temperatures, it just gets "thicker" and is unworkable until you warm it up again.

Conversely water does freeze. as we all know, and it also does this highly unusual thing of expanding upon freezing . That's the reason why you shouild never freeze aqueous products in glass. The bottle will explode. I mention this because this might perhaps be a problem wirth "aqueous glycerine", and other modifications you (or the supplier) might want to make to the nic liquid in advance. An exploded bottle of nic base would be one heck of a health hazzard, I should think.

(edited for multiple typos, as usual)

Last edited:
For those not in the know, Milton's are in most supermarkets, boots, pharmacies, mothercare and a few corner shops.

It's what you use to sterilise baby's bottles.

£1/£2 a box.

Never heard of this Milton's. Looks like there's lots of versions of it like powder, liquid etc. Which is it you mean?

Never heard of this Milton's. Looks like there's lots of versions of it like powder, liquid etc. Which is it you mean?

It will be whichever you prefer.

The person you've quoted hasn't been on the forum for over a year and this is a very old thread.

It will be whichever you prefer.

The person you've quoted hasn't been on the forum for over a year and this is a very old thread.

Oh you're right, my bad. I just received 2L of nic and found myself here to learn how to store it. Didn't realise it was so old. Thanks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom