What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Koolada in crystal form

scrumpox

Veteran
I want to add Koolada to certain recipes but I don't want to reduce my VG% ... does anyone know a source for Koolada in crystal form instead of premixed into PG?

I had a little look into it and found this thread on Reddit. Not surprisingly it is a trade secret but the CAS number suggests it is N-Ethyl-2-isopropyl-5-methylcyclohexanecarboxamide which you might be able to find somewhere, if that is indeed what it is. A quick Google found this but I'm dashing out so am just trying to get the boat started on this search for you to further research.

Still interested? Two forms available here.
Oooh, you star!
Been looking for malic acid for a while too ... and I've been searching for trimethyl pyrazine for over a year ... got excited for a second, but not sure what acetyl pyridine is and how it differs. Might be worth a shot.

Oooh, you star!
Been looking for malic acid for a while too ... and I've been searching for trimethyl pyrazine for over a year ... got excited for a second, but not sure what acetyl pyridine is and how it differs. Might be worth a shot.

Yes, wondered the same thing. This sounds like a case for @danb, come in danb.

Oooh, you star!

Yes, wondered the same thing. This sounds like a case for @danb, come in danb.

They are different chemical compounds, both are used as food flavourings but I'm not sure if they taste similar, I think 2,3,5-trimethylpyrazine is a dry nutty flavour. From the wiki page it seems acetylpyridine has a different flavour.

Here you can see the structures are different:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/product/aldrich/w324426
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Acetylpyridine

Most chemical suppliers (including Sigma Aldrich in the link above) will not sell to individuals, you need to be a company and I'm not sure what the requirements are. I'm not sure if you can just order it with a commercial shipping address (i.e. your workplace) and that will be enough, probably not.

You could give these guys a ring and ask them:

http://www.analab.co.uk/product/199419-10G

If they will sell it to you, you need to ask if it is certified for food use, and if not ask them if they have a "food grade" version.

Last edited:
Top man @danb. I have to think they are selling the Acetyl Pyridine powder as a means to reproduce the effects of the Acetyl Pyrazine liquid we typically use? They recommend to mix at the same concentration as TFA's AP and the stated flavour enhancement notes are very similar. It's not like mixers typically use any other pre-made liquid enhancers with those flavour notes that they might be trying to replicate? Has to be worth a pop as you say, @scrumpox.

Top man @danb. I have to think they are selling the Acetyl Pyridine powder as a means to reproduce the effects of the Acetyl Pyrazine liquid we typically use? They recommend to mix at the same concentration as TFA's AP and the stated flavour enhancement notes are very similar.

Possibly, acetylpyrazine and acetylpyridine are not the same chemical but they might taste similar. Acetylpyrazine is also a solid in pure form - the "liquid" is a solution of acetylpyrazine (presumably in PG, VG and/or water), not 100% acetylpyrazine.

Back
Top Bottom