What's new

How to reduce steep time

Ok apes some results to report:

On Sunday I eventually sat down to mix up my batches. As colour keeps on coming up in steeping threads I took snaps and note that the pre-steep and control bottles looked like this:
3xC9oZZ.jpg

After mixing they looked like this:
RyiqbJA.jpg

So we can see that the pre-steeped versions are clearly a shade or two darker - now for the vape. I initially tried the custard donut as it has a shorter steep anyway. The flavours were definitely more developed in the pre-steeped version whereas in the other bottle things were distinctly muted by comparison. That wasn’t the most noticeable thing however, which was the horrible, acrid plasticky taste, accompanied with a harsh throat hit that together became unbearable after a few tokes. I had to ditch the rest of the tank and vape something else it was that bad. I can’t think what I did differently apart from increasing the time (from one week to 11 days) and the amount of liquid (50mls to 100mls). I’m going to vent it a bit more and see if that helps but what I can tell so far is that there is more to pre-steeping than I thought at first. At least the normally steeped custard donut should be ready to vape soon! Also experimenting with some fruits for a SNV to help make the wait easier. My research into how to reduce steep times continues...

That wasn’t the most noticeable thing however, which was the horrible, acrid plasticky taste, accompanied with a harsh throat hit that together became unbearable after a few tokes. I had to ditch the rest of the tank and vape something else it was that bad.
This needs looking into separately as something has obviously become contaminated along the way.

This needs looking into separately as something has obviously become contaminated along the way.
I suppose it’s possible that some unaccounted for contamination has occurred but I really can’t see what that is or how it occurred. Also I can’t explain why it happened in the pre-steep bottles and not the controls, so if it is something random like a contamination, then it’s a real puzzler. I’ve done some more digging and some previous threads and articles have mentioned similar symptoms as being caused by oxidisation of the nicotine (ironically as I mentioned this in the opening post). Perhaps that is the case? The only other thing I can think of is that I didn’t vent the bottles as frequently this time which is why I’m willing to give that a go and try the liquids again.

I suppose it’s possible that some unaccounted for contamination has occurred but I really can’t see what that is or how it occurred. Also I can’t explain why it happened in the pre-steep bottles and not the controls, so if it is something random like a contamination, then it’s a real puzzler. I’ve done some more digging and some previous threads and articles have mentioned similar symptoms as being caused by oxidisation of the nicotine (ironically as I mentioned this in the opening post). Perhaps that is the case? The only other thing I can think of is that I didn’t vent the bottles as frequently this time which is why I’m willing to give that a go and try the liquids again.
Did it happen in both pre steeped bottles?
I've only ever mixed all in one go, then shaked, vent and steep till I'm happy with it.
Be interesting to see what happens when you try it again.

Yes both bottles, although the v5 custard hadn’t developed as much flavour wise so I just put it to one side after initial tasting.

There is a lot more to this mixing and steeping malarkey than at first meets the eye. Definitely a rabbit hole I’m tripping down ungracefully at the moment!

Yes both bottles, although the v5 custard hadn’t developed as much flavour wise so I just put it to one side after initial tasting.

There is a lot more to this mixing and steeping malarkey than at first meets the eye. Definitely a rabbit hole I’m tripping down ungracefully at the moment!

There really isn't much to it......mix, shake, leave.
But you probably need to come full circle in your endeavours to realise that.

As @Rickster said @memzey , exactly what I do.
Carry on with your experiments though, worth seeing what happens.
I'm always ahead of the game with my mixing so steeping times are not an issue for me

I just lob them in the cupboard and dig them out when they're ready, that's 500ml steeping with a 1 litre tub of my adv off-pic

IMG_1853.JPG

Back
Top Bottom