What's new

First go at DIY

Guess if its tried and tested should be good.
I have to add a somewhat ridiculous caveat to the post about the vanilla's madness recipe.

Here goes.

Since I first started DIY about two years ago, I have been mixing by drops (not weight or volume) and right from the very beginning, I got the idea that 6 drops from a 10ml concentrate bottle represented 1% in a 30ml mix and 12 drops equalled 1% in a 60ml mix (the only two sizes I use) I have been merrilly mixing litres and litres of juice of all different recipes (some copied from others and some my own creation) with perfectly pleasing results.

I have recently decided to start mixing by weight as it seemed like a damn good idea. Whilst doing this for the first few times I thought "This is a good time to see how accurate my 6 and 12 drop method actually was" Long story short, it turns out that 6 drops came in at approx. .15g which is only half a percent if your mixing a 30ml batch!

Put another way, I have been happily vaping away on juices that used only half the concentrates the original creators intended!

So, in relation to @StrawberryRipple 's post about the Vanilla's madness, when I mixed it, I only used half the percentages stated! but just didn't realize!

This has caused me a huge headache for all my current recipes, as I have had to go back through them all, halving all the percentages, so that they tie in with my new mixing by weight method for the obvious reason that I am happy with all the recipes, at the amount I have been using.

Wow! what a nightmare. Sorry to burden this thread with such a complicated post.

thought i recognised those ingredients.
its strong and a ok vape but still not much flavour for me :)

oh and add the vg/pg/nic now as thats when it needs a steep after all ingredients added.
vanilla flavour madness.JPG

Well the madness is all mixed up with pg/vg and nic and sitting in the airing cupboard. Must say that it did smell nice when putting it all together so hopefully in 2 months it will taste as good :)

If not then :ohboobs:

Bloody hell - that's like 27% or something TFA flavouring
not a cheap mix considering flavour is the biggest factor in costs

BUT could blow your mind (and your tastebuds/vapers tongue) if it works

Heck - can always dilute it down even to 50% and add a drop of something if required
(though tbh think you got a dozen Sara Lee cakes in there already)

WTF - nothing ventured & all that

As others have said, definitely far too much flavouring in your custard recipe.

No one has mentioned it yet but your concentrates won't steep until you add the pg/vg/nicotine. You've basically made a one shot at the moment. Personally I'd half those percentages and see how you get on.

I wrote a bit of a guide here if you're interested, but looks like you already understand how to mix.

I've not used TFA banana myself but generally speaking you don't have to wait 1 or 2 weeks for fruit mixes to steep, most are good to go straight away or overnight.

I disagree with the last sentence. I like Kanzi, which is melon, kiwi strawberry now there's no taste shake n vape infact it needs 4 weeks before the flavour comes through 6 weeks and it gets to its best. Truth about steeping is everything needs a steep some a lot longer than others. Things get better with age and patients

@Tazd first thing to do when mixing is small amounts. imagine you make 100ml with the 27% recipe well it stands a chance it will never get vaped. a) its to strong Vanilla is usually strong so i would try 2% of each except the last 3 on the recipe and leave those as they are this will give you a 17% but it may still be to much. Iy's sad that you can't get 7.2% nic as its easier than nic shots when making small testers

Well the madness is all mixed up with pg/vg and nic and sitting in the airing cupboard. Must say that it did smell nice when putting it all together so hopefully in 2 months it will taste as good :)

If not then :ohboobs:
I have some mixes that are up around that % mix mate and love them. There's no right or wrong when it comes to personal taste. It may taste awesome. When I first started DIY on some internet searches I'd read to never go over 10 to 12%, pffft, often I could hardly taste them. So I gradually upped some. Some of course were just fine at around 10% and under but some came to life at 20% and above. Good luck mate.
:goodluck:

I disagree with the last sentence. I like Kanzi, which is melon, kiwi strawberry now there's no taste shake n vape infact it needs 4 weeks before the flavour comes through 6 weeks and it gets to its best. Truth about steeping is everything needs a steep some a lot longer than others. Things get better with age and patients

That's where the word "generally" comes in, because generally fruits don't need a steep. That's why it's a good idea to try recipes at various stages.

That's where the word "generally" comes in, because generally fruits don't need a steep. That's why it's a good idea to try recipes at various stages.

I think after 4 years of diy and having tried shake n vape with some i made, it's not for me, even fruits i find need a couple of weeks minimum to come good. The way i do things means my juices get a minimum of 4 weeks no matter what. I think some folks either have no patience or need to make their juices a month in front. That way there is always something ready and well steeped. If your way works for you then that's all that matters. If someone is new to diy then make 2 months worth then at the end of month 1 make another batch but it means 4 weeks still buying juice, after that it's save save save.:)

My current recipe: virginia absolute at about 3%. A wee dash of cheap cognac. Mix it in the tank with some tuscan reserve at 7 drops per 10ml. Perfect.

Back
Top Bottom