What's new

Cooling Agents.

Any cooling agent can be very easily overused and quite often is put in flavours to 'mask' other aspects. For example you can get a grape flavour that turns out pretty awful (which I have been trying to make - sans cooling) and pop a chunk of ws23 and sucralose in it to totally transform it into tasting quite good. Remove those two and you see (or taste) the flavour for what it really is.

Most cooling agents will add a degree of throat hit too, again useful for masking harsh flavours as the cooling overtakes the throat hit of the flavour but numbs it off. I use both Koolada and WS23 (almost the same thing except WS23 is considerably stronger by solution) but to give a basis for usage, most of what I add is t 10% solution and I use 0.05 - 0.10% in order to use it to take the edge off the coil heat rather than add any cold effect.

I have a couple of exceptions where I might go up to 0.3% and those do add cold but need balancing the throat hit off a touch. Personally, I don't really like throat hit so all our flavours are created to be balanced and smooth even when we use citric or malic acid for fizz or any cooling agents. Even then at sub 0.5% for Koolada or sub 0.2% for WS23 you can see that you don't need to use Koolada or WS23 in big quantities just to add a little something different.

Get back to you in a few minutes, I will have a look in my box of concentrates.

Back
Top Bottom