What's new

Concentrate Allergy?

ObiWanVaponi

Staff member
Hey guys, bit of advice please. Over the last week or so, I've been suffering coughing and wheezing and waking up with a really tight chest like I've spend the night on the cigars.

This is a new thing, so I think its either a new combination of flavours, or a cumulative effect of one or more. So I'm now going through each flavour to see if I can pinpoint which is doing me in.

I'm DIYing ejuice and I usually go for 40/60 PG/VG so I'm going to up the VG 70% but I'm still using the same PG and VG I bought when I started so not sure thats the culprit. Using 72mg nic which seems fine and again, been using it for a while.

I know there are a few concentrates that some people have adverse reactions to so can someone mention some known ones to avoid please. I've scrapped Baverian Cream DX for the time being and read TPA Peach (juicy) can cause pretty much everything I mentoned above, so thats out too for the moment.

Many thanks.

Not what I'd class as an allergy but if I vape FW Black Licorice for a couple of days or so it can make me feel a bit chesty, as best as I can describe it. But I love it so only go a day or two max before I swap it out. Doesn't cause an issue that way. It does have a bit of a throat hit on it's own without nic, with it it gives the strongest throat hit of the juices I make.
But Flavour Art Flash, designed for adding a throat hit, I once tried before I used nic and that stuff gave me some serious asthma.

Cheers guys, I'll have to plod through making some more juices and try and keep note of coughing spells. Thats if I ever stop of course!

Here's the blog I read about Juicy Peach affecting some people by the way.

It also mentions TFA strawberry (ripe) and if thats true then its a gigantic disaster because almost everything I've ever mixed has either one or both of those!

I really hope this turns out to be an intolerance to Butyl Acetate (if its anything at all). Don't want angry bees anyway!

Last edited:
interesting read.
ive got the ripe strawberry as well.
the one thing i have noticed is i can be a little more phlemy in the morning and wondering if that could be caused by the V1 diacetyl custards which are in most of my mixes but then saying that ive only tried a few as they are still steeping.
i do have shit loads of shortfill custards though and im guessing most of them could of used V1 as they dont have to be tested.
hope you get to the bottom of it mate

You could try vaping unflavoured pg/vg with nic for a day or two and see if it clears up and then test. Could be unrelated to flavours or could be flavours or the ratio of pg/vg. I Can get chesty from too much VG - luckily I prefer mtl most of the time and my ratios are <60% VG. But there are people who have same or worse reaction to PG and have to have almost all VG.

Flavours - v2 creams, custards, yogurts etc have buyric acid which also irritates some people. Fruits are also commonly identified other than peach - melons, strawberry, lemon, lime etc

interesting read.
ive got the ripe strawberry as well.
the one thing i have noticed is i can be a little more phlemy in the morning and wondering if that could be caused by the V1 diacetyl custards which are in most of my mixes but then saying that ive only tried a few as they are still steeping.
i do have shit loads of shortfill custards though and im guessing most of them could of used V1 as they dont have to be tested.
hope you get to the bottom of it mate
Cheers mate. Just out of interest, why did you go for the v1 versions? When I bought my concentrates i didn't know the difference so its only recently i'm learning what they make this stuff out of.

You could try vaping unflavoured pg/vg with nic for a day or two and see if it clears up and then test. Could be unrelated to flavours or could be flavours or the ratio of pg/vg. I Can get chesty from too much VG - luckily I prefer mtl most of the time and my ratios are <60% VG. But there are people who have same or worse reaction to PG and have to have almost all VG.

Flavours - v2 creams, custards, yogurts etc have buyric acid which also irritates some people. Fruits are also commonly identified other than peach - melons, strawberry, lemon, lime etc
I'm literally just knocking some unflavoured up at the moment, so will give that a go. I MTL myself so don't really want to go any higher than 40/60. I did find 50/50 too 'throaty' in the early days, but that could have been anything TBH I didn't know what i was doing. I'll see how I get on and then start thinking about trying to source v1 versions etc. Melon is filth so thats fine, but I do like fruity puffs. Hopefully this will be something simple or i'll have to give up! :eek:

V1 creams custards etc usually contained Diacetyl which is buttery and can cause popcorn lung in conjunction with other factors. V2 use buyric acid which is bad cheese / vomit until it steeps but it becomes creamy. V2s in my opinion are often inferior unless you are willing to steep for weeks/months.

re V1 - in my opinion only! Diacetyl dangers while relevant are overstated. When we smoked we got more from cigs in a day than I could vape in a week. If I was a cloud chaser custard lover I may be more concerned (marginally). But I vape mtl for pleasure and because it limits the amount of liquid I am inhaling daily.

V1 creams custards etc usually contained Diacetyl which is buttery and can cause popcorn lung in conjunction with other factors. V2 use buyric acid which is bad cheese / vomit until it steeps but it becomes creamy. V2s in my opinion are often inferior unless you are willing to steep for weeks/months.

re V1 - in my opinion only! Diacetyl dangers while relevant are overstated. When we smoked we got more from cigs in a day than I could vape in a week. If I was a cloud chaser custard lover I may be more concerned (marginally). But I vape mtl for pleasure and because it limits the amount of liquid I am inhaling daily.
Cheers for that. I've never tasted vomit in my juices however rubbish they've been so i must be lucky. I'm not too worried about popcorn lung, as you say my lungs are probably so full of crap from 40 years smoking there wouldn't be any room for anything else! :18:

Back
Top Bottom