What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Close to a cleanup, /tired, semirant

Okay no worries.
The others were originally used in food flavourings but Flavourah say this isnt the case with theirs.
Thought the point made was asking about flavourings specifically made for vaping.

See, if you look on the faq on flavorah website you will also find this:

What is the Intended use of your Concentrated Flavorings?
Flavorah is food flavoring intended for further processing.”

Can I use Flavorah in my Food or Beverages?
Yes. Flavorah is food grade flavoring made from Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) ingredients for ingestion. It can be used in any application that requires food grade flavoring.

• Flavorah is a food grade flavoring compounded from FEMA GRAS ingredients...

What this means is that they use the same food flavouring chemicals from a FEMA approved list of a few hundred chemicals that all american food flavouring companies use.

Interesting turn of the thread!

@Ment the clean RTA/RDA point is the big one, I need a few tanks in the KF5 to understand a juice but life is too busy and complicated already to plan to do that for 20-30 flavours. Then you have those that were made to be accents which wouldn't work on their own anyway. Also, how many are the mixers in the vaping community anyway? Are we a serious market? On another thought, we know that most juice manufacturers use the same concentrates we do, with the occasional custom-made extract/concentrate to stop anyone from cloning their juice.

@zouzounaki since we're talking about taste wouldn't it be hard to invent new ones? FlavourArt has savoury concentrates too as you probably know, I have toyed with the idea to try a black truffle flavour in minuscule amounts in a juice but IIRC it comes as an oil only.

I've dabbled in the past with mixing up single flavours but I no longer have the energy or time to bother with zeroing in on a good recipe and just end up with lots I can't use (rose and violet attempt I'm looking at you) so it's one shots for me. I have started really keeping track of what I like,how much I like it and how much steeping it needs. As for moving away from food flavours I say are you mad! There's only a few of my favourites that aren't food. The previously mentioned hypnotic myst being one and I'd throw in liquid amber too. I would like to see more like this developed but I imagine it's very hit and miss and probably a difficult concept to create a flavour that doesn't exist or get interest in it (how do you describe it or market it). I think most of the vaping world breaks down to food types in vanilla custard/dessert type & fruit people with a lesser a small amount of tobacco people and the fearsome menthol peoples (I wonder how many people like desserts and menthol?). As to why not pop down to the bakery and eat a donut or similar, I'm not sure my body could cope with donuts and cheesecakes several times per day. All the pleasure and almost none of the calories!

I have around 150 flavour concentrates, probably more, I don't throw anything out because you never know. Not touched FA Oakwood for over 2-3 years yet just the other day out it came and is (hopefully) a key component in of all things - a custard!

See, if you look on the faq on flavorah website you will also find this:

What is the Intended use of your Concentrated Flavorings?
Flavorah is food flavoring intended for further processing.”

Can I use Flavorah in my Food or Beverages?
Yes. Flavorah is food grade flavoring made from Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) ingredients for ingestion. It can be used in any application that requires food grade flavoring.

• Flavorah is a food grade flavoring compounded from FEMA GRAS ingredients...

What this means is that they use the same food flavouring chemicals from a FEMA approved list of a few hundred chemicals that all american food flavouring companies use.
Does this mean Flavourah's flavourings were made for food use first?

Sorry about derailing the thread.

Does this mean Flavourah's flavourings were made for food use first?

Sorry about derailing the thread.

It means that the flavour chemicals they use are the same ones everyone uses, so yes, the flavour in their flavour concentrates is intended for food use.

Interesting turn of the thread!

@Ment the clean RTA/RDA point is the big one, I need a few tanks in the KF5 to understand a juice but life is too busy and complicated already to plan to do that for 20-30 flavours. Then you have those that were made to be accents which wouldn't work on their own anyway. Also, how many are the mixers in the vaping community anyway? Are we a serious market? On another thought, we know that most juice manufacturers use the same concentrates we do, with the occasional custom-made extract/concentrate to stop anyone from cloning their juice.

@zouzounaki since we're talking about taste wouldn't it be hard to invent new ones? FlavourArt has savoury concentrates too as you probably know, I have toyed with the idea to try a black truffle flavour in minuscule amounts in a juice but IIRC it comes as an oil only.

There are less limitations when inhaling flavoured vapour. Different combinations of chemicals can create tastes that bare no relation to those we know from foods. I think, at least. Certainly I have tried some that I struggle to describe using food references.

Have you tried atmos labs’ mastiha? That’s a good example. It tastes like mastiha, but in combination with other concentrates it can create extremely interesting new flavours. There are some interesting FA ones in this sense as well.

It means that the flavour chemicals they use are the same ones everyone uses, so yes, the flavour in their flavour concentrates is intended for food use.
Okay we're on crossed purposes again.
This is what i was refering to before you popped in.

I believe the next big breakthrough in vaping will be with flavourings - so far, most are just adapted food flavourings and most of those don't reproduce the original flavour when vaped. A scientific approach is needed to formulate flavours specially for vaping, but the problem is that the big boys with the funds are concentrating on pods where flavour isn't such an issue.

I'm even thinking to make an excel file of my favourite recipes so I can track what I've used from the key concentrates and know when I need to buy more.

Do you have similar ups and downs with vaping were the hobby becomes a chore and obsession and needs a soft reset?
Well, I have a spreadsheet that has been maintained since the day I started vaping ... well, that discounts my first 2 years spent on cigalikes to get me off the fags. So from day one of vaping proper, I have kept notes on everything, including flavour notes when I started out mixing my own.

Sometimes it feels like a chore keeping the spreadsheet up to date but I have stuck at it because the information captured there is invaluable, not least with regard to the juices, concentrates and recipes that I have tried over the past 5 years. This stuff is impossible to keep in your head,

With regard to mixology, yes, there are ups and downs. There are periods of high activity, some impatience and then relatively inactive periods with no testing at all ... just enjoying where I'm at, and having no inclination towards anything new. I think this is natural ... kick back when you can't be arsed, wait until something remotivates you back into action.

As soon as your hobby turns into a chore it loses its gloss and appeal. The spreadsheet's main advantage is that I'm always on top of things, they don't get on top of me.

Okay we're on crossed purposes again.
This is what i was refering to before you popped in.

I don’tbthink we are. @Ment demands a scientific approach to formulate flavours specially for vaping. Well there are many companies using food flavouring chemicals to formulate flavours aimed at vaping. But they are all using food flavourings. This might be what @Ment is requesting, maybe he can confirm, but either way flavorah state on their own website faq that they produce and sell food flavourings.

So I’m not sure how we are on cross purposes.

Back
Top Bottom