What's new

Can I make saline solution?

Mr Numpty

Veteran
About to mix up some Charlie Noble's PB cereal that he released the recipe for. It calls for 0.5% saline solution which I don't have. I'll go ahead and mix it without if necessary, but is it something I can mix up myself with sea salt, or is that a daft idea?
If it is ok to do, how should I go about it, weights-and-measures-wise?
Thank you.

Yeah, saline is NaCl solution - table salt in water. 0.5% = 5 g/L.

Sea salt is not pure NaCl, it has other shit from the sea in it, but it shouldn't make much difference. Normal table salt will be purer, although may contain anti-caking agents - again, unlikely to make much practical difference.

I'll be interested to see it it works. I assumed you would just get the salt crystallsing on the coil rather than making it into the vapour.

Yeah, saline is NaCl solution - table salt in water. 0.5% = 5 g/L.

Sea salt is not pure NaCl, it has other shit from the sea in it, but it shouldn't make much difference. Normal table salt will be purer, although may contain anti-caking agents - again, unlikely to make much practical difference.

I'll be interested to see it it works. I assumed you would just get the salt crystallsing on the coil rather than making it into the vapour.
Good stuff, thank you. I thought sea salt would be purer, shows what I know. I have table salt though so I'll go with that. How would I go about making a 0.9% solution? Is it 0.9g salt to 99.1g water by weight?

pop down to boots, it's only a few quid.
Oh really? Interesting, thanks. I wonder what % solution it is.

Oh really? Interesting, thanks. I wonder what % solution it is.

That you might have to go and read the label I'm afraid, I've seen it in there though ..... and (a very very long time ago) I bought some as that's what they used to recommend after you'd had an ear pierced to clean it. I believe it's sterile so should be ok to vape.

Ok, re-reading @danb's post, I've made 0.9% saline solution by mixing 4.5g table salt with 500mls previously boiled water. I think that's right. Cheapest concentrate ever. :D Thanks all for the help.

nice .... I expect a salty peanut butter (presuming that's what it is) will be great ..... updates needed please, I'm curious. ;)
Yeah, me too. I think I'll make one with and one without the saline to gauge the effect and will report back in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom