What's new

Beginner eliquid mixing need help

Shaun98

Initiate
Hi, so after the great response on my first post here i ordered 1 litre of vg and 1 litre of pg and my nicotine base
now i have just made 3 50ml red astaire eliquid 2 of which at 15% flavor and one i tried a 20% flavor but i have bumped into a few issues.

1# i can never get the weights right on my scales so i keep going off by about 0.40mg and the bottle ends up pretty much right to the brim. will this make a difference?
2# i am using pipettes and i can't fit them very well into my mix bottle and the vg tends to get stuck at the top and overflows
3# what is the margin for error to still get a nice tasting eliquid
3#is there anyway to make it easier on myself with any other equipment
4# is one litre of pg/vg a waste when im only doing 50ml bottles for myself?

any help i can get is great!
Enjoying playing around with this stuff but i dont want to waste it all. havent tried my juice yet but it looks as it should, i hope anyways.

Hi, so after the great response on my first post here i ordered 1 litre of vg and 1 litre of pg and my nicotine base
now i have just made 3 50ml red astaire eliquid 2 of which at 15% flavor and one i tried a 20% flavor but i have bumped into a few issues.

1# i can never get the weights right on my scales so i keep going off by about 0.40mg and the bottle ends up pretty much right to the brim. will this make a difference?
2# i am using pipettes and i can't fit them very well into my mix bottle and the vg tends to get stuck at the top and overflows
3# what is the margin for error to still get a nice tasting eliquid
3#is there anyway to make it easier on myself with any other equipment
4# is one litre of pg/vg a waste when im only doing 50ml bottles for myself?

any help i can get is great!
Enjoying playing around with this stuff but i dont want to waste it all. havent tried my juice yet but it looks as it should, i hope anyways.
Sounds like you just need to refine your mixing technique a bit. I had a bit of trouble to start with due to dexterity issues, but am ok now I've got the right stuff. So,
1 Use a bigger bottle to mix in! :18: seriously though, you should be using a bottle much bigger than the amount of liquid you are making so that you can shake it up properly. You can decant it into smaller bottles once its mixed up. Not sure why your scales aren't working though?
2 do your concentrates not have drip tips on them?
3 It doesn't really matter what amounts you put in your bottle, but obviously the main reason for being specific is to ensure the amount of nicotine your mix will have. there's not much difference between flavour 14% and 16% really, and who cares if the final mix is 38/62 PG/VG when you aimed for 40/60.
4 probably. its sounds like you need some better bottles and maybe scales. what have you got at the moment?
5 VG and PG don't go off for ages so you'll probably use it before its ready for the bin

Last edited:
Sounds like you just need to refine your mixing a bit. I had a bit of trouble to start with due to dexterity issues, but am ok now I've got the right stuff. So,
1 Use a bigger bottle to mix in! :18: seriously though, you should be using a bottle much bigger than the amount of liquid you are making so that you can shake it up properly. You can decant it into smaller bottles once its mixed up. Not sure why your scales aren't working though?
2 do your concentrates not have drip tips on them?
3 It doesn't really matter what amounts you put in your bottle, but obviously the main reason for being specific is to ensure the amount of nicotine your mix will have. there's not much difference between flavour 14% and 16% really, and who cares if the final mix is 38/62 PG/VG when you aimed for 40/60.
4 probably. its sounds like you need some better bottles and maybe scales. what have you got at the moment?
5 VG and PG don't go off for ages so you'll probably use it before its ready for the bin

Thanks for the advice my scales where these from ebay only cost a few pounds https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Myco-MZ-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

bottles i am using are https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMPTY-PL...var=471410185258&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

concentrates do have a drip tip but its the vg pg that i struggle getting into the bottle as my pipettes are the same size as the bottle top pretty much

also how long should i wait before vaping my juice?

those scales should be ok. I know mine have trouble measuring from 0 to about 0.05 before anything registers so if i am measuring a small amount I just count up rather than pressing the 'tare' button to zero out.
I had the same problem with PG and VG until i bought some of these
https://flavour-boss.co.uk/product/28mm-nozzle-twist-off-top/
(but make sure they will fit your bottle before you go mad and buy them!)

Unsure about steeping, usually I wait overnight for fruits, and 3 weeks onwards for custards. just try it every day til its nice :14:

Edit: lucemill do different sized nozzles, but you have to buy 10 at a time
https://www.lucemill.com/caps-and-closures/two-part-nozzle-caps.html

i just pour my vg/pg into 100ml bottles so its much easier to add to the juice bottle.

I use a small funnel when mixing. You usually have to wait with the vg, you know, fill funnel, let it drain, fill funnel and let it drain etc, but I very rarely spill a single drop.
BTW. Personally, I don't get on with pipette thingies, much prefer a syringe but I only use that for nicotine. Everything else is used directly from a big bottle with a drip nozzle on it.

Last edited:
I use a small funnel when mixing. You usually have to wait with the vg, you know, fill funnel, let it drain, fill funnel and let it drain etc, but I very rarely spill a single drop.
BTW. Personally, I don't get on with pipette thingies, much prefer a syringe but I only use that for nicotine. Everything else is used directly from a big bottle with a drip nozzle on it.

If the VG takes a long time to go through your funnel, try standing the bottle in hot water for a while, this will make it easier to pour etc.

I've started making 50/55ml batches in my 60ml bottles to avoid overflow issues. Not sure what order you add things but if you add the VG last you can always stop before it gets too full. You won't be able to tell the difference between a 68/32 and 70/30 mix for example but you need the extra room for shaking. Lots and lots of shaking. After making a few batches of things my arm cramps give me flashbacks of a certain arm cramp associated with being a teenager...

I don't personally, but some people use a magnetic stirrer, or an ultrasonic bath to mix things thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom