What's new

Anyone heard of 'Seed Steeping'?

beastobadness

Achiever
Just out of curiosity...I come across this method of accelerating the steeping process by something called 'Seed Steeping'.

Most will find that you probably have already done it without realising.

It is the process by which you basically add 10-15% old well steeped juice to a fresh batch of the same juice.

The same sort of seeding process is used in some food products I believe like wine and beers to name the obvious few.

I think it has something to do with kick starting the Maillard reaction in the fresh batch as all the "stuff" required to get it going are already contained in the matured e-liquid.

Just for info... anyone used this tweak before? If you have what juices do you find actually benefit from it?

I've been doing it for years with custards and tobaccos.

It works well, but for custards I do it only with small batches as, after the first month, it seems to accelerate the process and the juice goes off quicker.

I've been doing it for years with custards and tobaccos.

It works well, but for custards I do it only with small batches as, after the first month, it seems to accelerate the process and the juice goes off quicker.
When you say "goes off quicker" I assume you mean steeps faster...not goes bad?

I had heard about it working with tobaccos but seems some fruit mixes it can kill the flavour too quickly opposed to improve it.

When you say "goes off quicker" I assume you mean steeps faster...not goes bad?

I had heard about it working with tobaccos but seems some fruit mixes it can kill the flavour too quickly opposed to improve it.

It really speeds up the steeping process - some custard I made was disgusting after a year. I chucked around 500ml down the sink.

It really speeds up the steeping process - some custard I made was disgusting after a year. I chucked around 500ml down the sink.
Wow...that says a lot as usually you want a custard to be as mature as possible.

Sounds like it is very effective with some juices, if not too effective. Use with caution then.

I had noticed that people using this process were only really using 100 ml batches, running them down to around 15ml then topping up.

Back
Top Bottom