What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

0% flavour mix, Any thoughts or experiences?

oldhippydude

Veteran
Prompted by a couple of threads recently i have decided to try a mix with no flavour.

I do not think i care much about flavour as long as it tastes better than a fag.
I used to mix three or four 100ml batches everytime I mixed, all multi baccy flavours with fruit and sometimes some other minor additions eg rum or blackjack. Always in the 5% or 6% flavour range.

Over time my mixing has got lazier. Recently I mix one 500ml batch, it still has 8 or nine flavours.

I am wondering if I could come down to single flavour or even zero flavour mixes and still enjoy my vape.

I do think it might be useful for new mixers to mix a zero flavour batch as a baseline to compare their flavour mixes to.
It would let them know what their base ingredients taste like.
Some people mix a lot of crap juice before they get something they like, mixing complex recipes then not being able to work out which elements are wrong for their taste.

Why not start with zero flavour, how bad can it be?
Then single flavours till you have worked out the best strength of each for your taste.
Build it up gradually from there to more complex flavours. (Not an original idea and quite a few of us have used variations of this method)

Anyway I have just mixed a 10ml bottle with 0.83ml of 7.2% nic topped up to 10 ml with my vg and pg which I have premixed at 60/40.

I am going to re-wick my Narda then give it a go.

I've vaped unflavoured LiQuid before .... it's fine, you get a slight sweetness and a slight cigarette taste from the nicotine. It's not unpleasant at all.

I used to do this quite a lot, vaping half a tank of zero nic vg when changing flavours with stock coils.

My tobacco mix is similar to yours with lots of fruits added as I find most tobaccos to be vile on their own, but I enjoy mixing as a hobby too.

As you've said before, you're just looking for a way of getting a nicotine fix, so I see no reason why this wouldn't work for you.

My first thoughts are.
It is perfectly ok.
I am missing something but not much.
It is more enjoyable than the hangsen baccy Flavour I started on.

If there had never been a tradition of flavours in nicotine juice, I would have been happy with this.
All my liquids have similar mixes of base flavours including Golden Virginia, Cuban cigar and Havana, so I probably barely notice them and what I notice are the background notes that change from mix to mix.
I am thinking this mix could be improved with a little RY4 (0.5% or 1%) or fruity edge a little dragonfruit or pineapple perhaps.

I have 10ml and I plan to vape it.

I have flavours and I will use them, but I can see my mixes getting much simpler and at even lower percentages than I use now.
Or I might find that when I go back to my current 9 flavour mix, I have a new appreciation for it.

I would say it is worth a try for any new mixer to establish a baseline that you are trying to improve on, or for any new vaper strugling to find a flavour they like.

+1 to @Ment idea to use it between flavours to avoid coil (or wick) changes.

I am very slow at typing and even as I type this and stop thinking about the flavour it is becoming just a vape, neither more or less enjoyable than my normal vape.

I’m definitely going to try this when I next mix up a batch.

Out of interest, when you mix do you follow precise recipes? I’m wondering if, like me, you improvise a bit. I always improvise, and have rarely made a liquid I didn’t like, or at least thought was ok. I also rarely have more than say 5-6% flavour, and that’s after increasing it a bit as I’ve been reducing wattage (used to be 3-4).

Yep, do use zero flavour juice from time to time. Usually 4% pg 72 nic base and 96% VG. Sometimes add a tiny touch of menthol.
Actually a lot better than many 'premium' liquids!

I’m definitely going to try this when I next mix up a batch.

Out of interest, when you mix do you follow precise recipes? I’m wondering if, like me, you improvise a bit. I always improvise, and have rarely made a liquid I didn’t like, or at least thought was ok. I also rarely have more than say 5-6% flavour, and that’s after increasing it a bit as I’ve been reducing wattage (used to be 3-4).

I have never mixed to a recipe that was not my own.

When I started mixing I knew I was not interested in creamy or desert flavours.
From the start I new I was happy to stick with baccy flavours.

Stage one was testing a bunch of baccy flavours and some fruit flavours as single flavours.
Then adding different combinations to a dripper while taking notes as to how prominent I wanted a flavour to be in a mix.
I would vape a single flavour then add some drops of a second flavour or a third.
I would spend the evening dripping different blends in the dripper, before moving on to two or three flavour mixes.

I would then repeat with the two or three flavour mixes and add some drops of my single flavour testers.

I have never had a recipe stand still, by the time it is as good as you will get it, you find you can not get one of the flavours and adjustments have to be made.

If you perfect a complex recipe, I suggest making a bulk batch of flavouring (ie mix a large bottle of the flavours in the right proportion) to make repeating it easier

Yep, do use zero flavour juice from time to time. Usually 4% pg 72 nic base and 96% VG. Sometimes add a tiny touch of menthol.
Actually a lot better than many 'premium' liquids!

Exactly, So many people complain about crap tasting juice but this zero flavour is ok.
There is no reason for folk to endure anything worse.
When I started the test I was thinking it was missing a little something (which would be easily remedied by adding a little something)
Now a few hours later I do not feel it is missing anything and am noticing the sweetness of the vg simong mentioned.

Exactly, So many people complain about crap tasting juice but this zero flavour is ok.
There is no reason for folk to endure anything worse.
When I started the test I was thinking it was missing a little something (which would be easily remedied by adding a little something)
Now a few hours later I do not feel it is missing anything and am noticing the sweetness of the vg simong mentioned.
In all honesty, vaping liquid without flavour is more reminiscent of smoking to me.
I smoked the same brand of rolling tobacco for donkey's years. I was so habituated to it that it had zero taste or flavour. Only every noticed the taste of tobacco when I occasionally smoked something other, never found the taste that nice.

I have never mixed to a recipe that was not my own.

When I started mixing I knew I was not interested in creamy or desert flavours.
From the start I new I was happy to stick with baccy flavours.

Stage one was testing a bunch of baccy flavours and some fruit flavours as single flavours.
Then adding different combinations to a dripper while taking notes as to how prominent I wanted a flavour to be in a mix.
I would vape a single flavour then add some drops of a second flavour or a third.
I would spend the evening dripping different blends in the dripper, before moving on to two or three flavour mixes.

I would then repeat with the two or three flavour mixes and add some drops of my single flavour testers.

I have never had a recipe stand still, by the time it is as good as you will get it, you find you can not get one of the flavours and adjustments have to be made.

If you perfect a complex recipe, I suggest making a bulk batch of flavouring (ie mix a large bottle of the flavours in the right proportion) to make repeating it easier

Aye that’s a bit like my strategy, but a bit more precise. I generally try flavours when I get them on their own, then work out what I’d want to mix it with in what proportion, then just make 30 or 50ml depending on how confident I am it will be good. My few regular recipes all started off this way, and always change over time as I decide I want to add something or more or less of a particular flavour.

I might mix up some 0 flavour liquid tomorrow and give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom