What's new

What % Total of Flavour concentrates do you recommend.

IF CREATING A 70/30 MIX VG/PG MIX WHAT % FLAVOURING WOULD YOU GENERALLY STICK TO?

• Total voters

Leedslad30

Quite new to mixing and was just wanting some opinions from fellow vapers as the recipes vary massively and I don't want to be using too much flavour concentrate when not needed.

I tried mixing 7 different flavours last night and overall my total % of flavour concentrates equated to 25.8% which was in line with some recipes out there but i suspect these sort of quantities are too high.

I understand that different flavours/brands generate different taste strengths but I just thought there may be a general rule of thumb. Please vote below on the Poll and you can select 3 different Percentages.

I'm afraid it does depend on the brand of concentrate and also on the individual flavours within those brands.
Individual preference also comes into it of course. Having said that, most of my mixes total around 5-15% flavouring and average around 10%.

I'm afraid it does depend on the brand of concentrate and also on the individual flavours within those brands.
Individual preference also comes into it of course.

Agree with this, unfortunately, because there's no simple answer. Buying different flavours from one manufacturer and using their recommended percentage, I've still found that some are too strong and some barely there at all.

Everyone's sense of taste is unique but the manufacturer's recommendations are a good starting point

Most of my mixes have a total between 5% and 6% though there are a few I mix less.
I am probably rare in finding that most bought juices are too strong for my tastes.

Depends on what mix I'm doing and concentrate brsnd I have recipes I make anywhere from 4% up to 26%

As mentioned above several times, there is no rule of thumb other than general guidelines from the manufacturer for each flavour. Some flavouring houses produce more concentrated concentrates than others ... for example ...
Flavourart, Inawera, Lorann's - individual flavours can commonly be mixed at 0.5-5%, depending on the flavour
Capella and The Perfumer's Apprentice - generally 5-10%
FlavorWest, One to One - generally 10-20%
One shot, ready-mixed flavour blends like Pink Spot and T-Juice are generally mixed at 15-20% or more. We've seen many more entries into the one-shot market in the last year or so.

Most flavour houses offer different types of flavouring - individual flavours like apple for example and blended flavours like apple pie and custard. This partly explains why there's a range of recommended %s within a single flavour house. You will probably use a higher % of a blend than an individual flavour. Also, some flavours are naturally stronger than others - peppermint would be a strong flavour, peach would be lighter and more subtle. Stands to reason that you would use less of the stronger flavours and more of the subtle when combining them in a recipe, otherwise you will get one flavour dominating. (I'm not recommending peach and peppermint by the way.)

When mixing complex recipes, which might use up to 10 individual flavours, it makes sense to use the more concentrated brands, otherwise the total flavouring of a mix can creep above 20%. I'm not totally averse to going above 20% on occasion but reaching 20% tells me that it's worth reviewing that recipe. No problem with one shots because they've been "watered down" with PG to make them more profitable , but 20% of highly concentrated flavours is way over the top.

When I'm mixing a juice using individual flavours I'm in the same ballpark as @Mr Numpty , when I'm making up a juice from one-shots then it's 15-25%.

Using too much flavour is both counter-productive in improving the flavour and needlessly expensive, it's also likely to be less healthy. Flavouring is the most costly element in any mix so if your primary motivation for DIYing is to save money then you'd be daft to use too much.

Last edited:
As others have said it varies widely depending on the flavour manufacturer, some like inawera tobacco flavours are good at 1% for example.
Also worth noting is PG carries flavour better than VG so the flavour is likely to be a bit stronger at 70/30 than it would be at 80/20 mix.

Back
Top Bottom