What's new

Thinking of switching to DIY

raggy

Postman
Evening all!

So, I'm thinking of switching as I understand it'll work out a lot cheaper than shortfill and premixed, however I've no idea of where to start.

I did recently see a Vaping With Vic vlog on DIY and his method. Now, my questions are, what are your essential kit items for mixing? I mean bare minimum. What's a good concentrate brand to look for? And is it worth trying to track down nic, or just easier (at least short term) to use nic shots?

Recipes I have no idea on what to look for. I've had fruity, desert, bakery and sweet flavours in the past. Mostly always bought whatever worked out as a better deal for saving money tbh!

I've gotten used to anything between 70/30vg and 80/20vg, just incase that makes a difference to anything I purchase. From what I can gather most concentrates are pg based, so don't know if I need to keep an eye on the nic shots/nic.

Also, for a mixing jug, is plastic or glass better? I would assume glass as it's less likely to taint from any flavouring?

I know, I know, it always seems to be noobish questions from me...but that's what I joined for...to pester the more informed of you all... :D

Cheers!!!

Bare minimum
Some nic, some pg, some vg and some flavour.
A syringe- 1 or 2ml so that you have enough accuracy making small samples till you work out how to make what you like.

Realistically a 10 ml syringe for measuring the vg or pg

A 100 ml measuring cup or cylinder is worth it as well.

IMO plastic is fine for mixing though I store in glass.

Bare minimum
Some nic, some pg, some vg and some flavour.
A syringe- 1 or 2ml so that you have enough accuracy making small samples till you work out how to make what you like.

Realistically a 10 ml syringe for measuring the vg or pg

Well Raggy,
Oldhippydude has covered the basics needed.

1ml, 2m, and 10ml syringes (plus blunt needles)

A cylinder is more accurate.

I use plastic, because with my clumsy hands I would smash glass in no time.
The only tip I have here is when you get the plastic syringes put a layer of clear nail varnish over the numbers, otherwise they fade fairly quickly.

Okay ingredients.

PG
VG, you can also get Aqueus VG which has 10% pharma grade distilled water in it, makes it easier to handle.
If you need another dilutent some people use Vodka (done it myself)
Nicotine, you can still get 72mg if you know where to look.
Another type of nicotine that is now raising interest over here is Nicotine Salts, different extraction process.
Supposed benefits are reduced throat hit, smoother vape, and the nicotine absorbion into your body is much faster.
A few companies have been selling nic salt juice, one company has just started selling nic shots of it, but its bloody expensive £3.99 for 10ml @ 20mg.
I have just imported some from the US (not illegal here) but its a big investment £100 for 500ml of 72mg.

Flavour concentrates.
Yes, most are dissolved in PG, but you can get some that are dissolved in VG, but they do not tend to carry the flavour as well.
Another thing I have just imported from the US is Super Concentrates, they are dissolved in alcohol, and they state that you only need about 2% for decent flavour.

Hope this helps.

Regards badboybez

Another tip - vg is thick and is the one ingredient difficult to draw into a syringe.
Remove the plunger from the syringe put your (cleaned & sterilised) finger over the hole and use the syringe as a measuring cylinder by simply pouring in from the top.

Be accurate with your flavours and take notes. Pg/vg ratio is unlikely to make a big difference to your mix within a few percentage points.

It's probably worth your while to go straight into mixing by weight. You can get the NV500 scales for under £20 and it's a big time saver.

For mixing and storage, jam jars and coffee jars are ideal, but put clingfilm over the top before screwing on the cap as most of them don't seal and shaking can get very messy.

Dark Star is probably your best bet to start with - DS35 gets 35% off TFA and Dark Arts flavours, and it's worthwhile getting 5l of vg - it doesn't cost much more than a litre and it's amazing how quickly it goes. One litre of pg should suffice to go with it.

I just use a 5 and 50ml measuring cylinders and a couple of wee syringes. I have glass and plastic bottles and have never no iced a bad taste from the plastic ones. It’s not hard. I mostly use flavour art concentrates, in my experience they are very good and also pretty concentrated. I also have a few atmos labs and a couple of TFA.

The best plastic bottles/containers I have come across are this kind (don't remember the name of the plastic type)
Vegetable-Glycerine-Propylene-Glycol-DIY-Mixing-E-Liquid-Base-250ml-0-0.jpg

Hmm so it’s not just boxes...?
You dirty apes lol
But for real, I have tried different kinds of plastics and when steeping (I use a heating method via vibrations in water and breathing on specific times of the aging) this plastic material has just been the best imo :)

GOod stuff raggy,
I remember going from pre made juices to diy and as long as your dealing with pharmacutical grade liquids you are in for taste buds Revelations. All of the above but for me I used to make up 30 mil batches then bought some Traveller liquid bottles with the nozzle ends, trebled my flavour value and put that amount into the 100 ml bottle, then I scored the side of the bottle, then I trebled the nic and scored the side, then I added the treble pg and scored where that volume filled up to. I have a little out and about bottle for pocket, but my mother mix just stays at home. Wen my mother mix runs out I just fill to the scored mark of each ingredient, no more syringes, fart assing about with trying to get accurate mls, I can mix up a 100 mls very quickly no mess no fuss just pure Neanderthal simplicity.

Back
Top Bottom