What's new

Stem ginger?

Gonloopy

Veteran
I am looking for a good stem ginger concentrate. I can find gingerbreads easy enough, but that's not what I'm after. I want the stuff that you often find in a syrup around Christmas time...

Thoughts anyone?

Tried making yourself? Stem ginger is really strong, if you blitz it and soak in warm pg you should get a good flavoured base.

Chefs vapour do a ginger concentrate if that's any help.

I've made a root ginger concentrate which came out pretty well (bashed up a quantity of fresh root, warmed in PG and steeped for a few days, then strained through a coffee filter). I expect you could do similar with the stems, although with green source material you would need to be careful not to over-steep it: green vegetable matter will develop an unpleasant cabbage taste if it's left steeping too long - which would be more than 3 or 4 days.

I was pretty happy with the strength of mine after the first time, but if you wanted it stronger, bash up a second batch of ginger and repeat the process using the previous batch in place of fresh PG. (Had to do that with some dried mint one time - it was fine after the second steeping, but there's a significant reduction of the final volume, due to the fraction of liquid that will not be persuaded out of the soggy mass of ginger pulp and the filter paper).

Back
Top Bottom