What's new

Steeping, possible accelerator.

its because nicotine reacts with the flavours .. we make shortfills that never change colour ..

but the Nic'd up stuff we make does ... more importantly the higher the nicotine strength the quicker and darker it goes ..

that to me says its the reaction with the nicotine.

hence using no PG/or VG and letting it sit for a day or 3 can really speed up the final destination process .. very useful when developing new flavours for us.

I view most speed steeping techniques such as frothing as pure bro science drivel - and leaving the top off I find ridiculous (especially with all the cries for cleanrooms) - but there is from our experience some merit in applying gentle heat and using the above technique.

It all makes sense. I'm guessing the molecules of the flavours having much closer proximity to each other than they would in a full mix, helps them react with each other more quickly also.

They don't contain nicotine, and that's what determines steeping rates. I too believe that nothing beats time, which is why I was making a mix to vape in 6 months,

We don't know enough yet so I have no idea if VG breaking down is part of the steeping process or it just sits there and inhibits everything, but I'll soon find out if this has helped or made no difference.

It definitely helps, @Ment . Like @ZT said the stronger the nic percentage, the faster the reaction.

@Horrand if you have never tried this, you should. It works. I’m certain that most of steeping relates to reactions with the nic. You’ll see above @ZT ‘a comments about shortfills.

It definitely helps, @Ment . Like @ZT said the stronger the nic percentage, the faster the reaction.

@Horrand if you have never tried this, you should. It works. I’m certain that most of steeping relates to reactions with the nic. You’ll see above @ZT ‘a comments about shortfills.

I need to do some mixing tomorrow so won't hurt to give it a go!

I'm no expert but my understanding of the colour change with the nic is actually just the nicotine itself reacting? Could very easily be wrong, won't be the first time and definitely not the last.

The nicotine can degrade, but you’ll notice that the colour change varies depending on what concentrates you’ve put with it. The nic reacts with flavour molecules.

They don't contain nicotine, and that's what determines steeping rates. I too believe that nothing beats time, which is why I was making a mix to vape in 6 months,

We don't know enough yet so I have no idea if VG breaking down is part of the steeping process or it just sits there and inhibits everything, but I'll soon find out if this has helped or made no difference.

That’s interesting, I had assumed it’s just the nic strength that steeps it faster. But if you had also added pg, and you say it’s as dark as a 6 month batch - maybe the vg slows it down right enough? I was always using vg nic when I used to do this, I might try two identical nic and concentrate only mixes, one with pg and one vg nic, and see what happens.

As far as I'm concerned nothing beats time for a steep. You need the time for the flavours to homogenise with the pg and vg. If they steeped without this you'd never need to steep one shots or bottle shots.
And I would agree with you

This is a really unique we use sometimes for designing flavours not production

Funny, while by no means a rule darker eliquid tends to taste better to me. Perhaps it's just the flavourings I like tend to cast darker shades when steeped. I never thought about higher nicotine concentration for the same eliquid impacting the flavour, does it?

Funny, while by no means a rule darker eliquid tends to taste better to me. Perhaps it's just the flavourings I like tend to cast darker shades when steeped. I never thought about higher nicotine concentration for the same eliquid impacting the flavour, does it?
In my mind yes it does ... taste is a sensation made up of more than just flavour .. things like heat / cold / and throat hit also have a bearing on it ... certain juices I like at higher nic strengths

Back in the day El Toro used to do certain liquids in certain strengths .. Puros for example was always 24mg ..because it is a heavy cigar flavour .. and thats all you could get it in.

Back
Top Bottom