What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Steeping - Caps on or off?

vaporiser

Postman
My method of steeping is pretty basic... caps on and sealed in a plastic bag in a drawer. Shaken vigorously for 10 seconds at least once a day.
I was reading "The Ultimate Guide to Steeping" which I found on Google.. and they seem to recommend leaving the caps off for the first 12 hours and also later on in the steeping process to give the liquid "time to breathe". What do you think of this? Do you agree with it or not, and why? Is there any scientific evidence to support your view?

I've always left the cap off over night to get rid of the chemically taste you can get with some concentrates, then seal them and shake a couple of times a day (if I get a chance) and leave them somewhere warm and dark

My method of steeping is pretty basic... caps on and sealed in a plastic bag in a drawer. Shaken vigorously for 10 seconds at least once a day.
I was reading "The Ultimate Guide to Steeping" which I found on Google.. and they seem to recommend leaving the caps off for the first 12 hours and also later on in the steeping process to give the liquid "time to breathe". What do you think of this? Do you agree with it or not, and why? Is there any scientific evidence to support your view?

You're entering a whole world of hurt here ! :D keep them sealed, sealed then caps off then on, caps & tips off then sealed then caps off. Then variations are endless ! lol

Vigorous shake to start, cap off for 12 hours ish, another shakefest then caps on loosely in the dark.

I'm afraid I'm obviously lazy. I just leave them in a cupboard & forget about them til I think they're ready (which isn't for too long as I'm also impatient as well as lazy)

Vigorous shake to start, cap off for 12 hours ish, another shakefest then caps on loosely in the dark.
Tried your method. Juice all over the ceiling. Did you miss a step or something? [emoji12]

On a serious note, I've had some juice steeping for a month, lids on, dark place, still wasn't impressed.

Left the lid off for a few hours this afternoon and I'm convinced it's improved. Gonna leave it open overnight... But so far there could be something to it.

I've just got back in to diy recently and it seems everyone recommends letting juices breath for 4-24hrs depending on the flavours.

on on on on on on

Both Pg and too a lesser extent Vg are hygroscopic - which means they attract in water particles literally from the surrounding air - alongside anything that may be dissolved in the water.

The cleanrooms, Laminar flow units and air control in production environments are not just for show.

Ultimately .. you are mixing at home - its your choice .. but from a production standpoint seal it up as soon as poss - and let time be the greatest steeping agent.

As a general rule it seems that most folk do breathe their juices before steeping. I don't usually bother, normally cap on, shake it up and stick away. I realise I'm in the minority but I think you lose a certain amount of flavour by leaving the cap off for long periods of time. [emoji2]

It does make sense to leave the caps off.. I'm going to try doing that over night from now on

Back
Top Bottom