What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Rhubarb and custard recipe

I only use one custard which is Capella V1.
It's deceptive in that it does not come through very well till steeped for a few weeks.
This can make you overdo the strength.
If it's not ready it will have a very strange almost dry taste.
I would say powdery but you'll think I'm mad but that's the only way i can describe it.
I guess I end up around 14-16%.
I find it tastes even better with a little cream or vanilla bean ice cream added but that's just me.
TBH if I started mixing now I would use a one shot but with the separate flavours to hand so I could tweek the balance if I needed to go my taste.

I never liked Capella and was a CCW man, but I got bored of it and started experimenting.

I now have 4 different brands steeping away with various levels of vanilla and cream in each and I'm experimenting with different combinations.

Yes, their juice was my highlight from VF last year but this year they only had the concentrate, which I stocked up on.

The rhubarb is mild compared to some, but the crumble really comes through.
A couple of drops of malic acid will lift the rhubarb if it's sour taste is not quite there.

I never liked Capella and was a CCW man, but I got bored of it and started experimenting.

I now have 4 different brands steeping away with various levels of vanilla and cream in each and I'm experimenting with different combinations.
What's CCW?
I ought to try more custards but only just getting the best out of V1

What's malic acid and where do you get it?
Malic acid is extracted from several fruits pre ripe.
Apple's is most common and gives the sour tang.
I've seen places selling it already suspended in PG around 20% search for enhancers I think flavour art or one of the big flavour houses will do it.
Simple citric acid is similar principle and same as malic can be bought in powder form and diluted in PG.
This will give the same cirtus zing as lemon or grapefruit without the lemon or grapefruit taste if that makes sense.
Worth having if your lemon is limp or lacking.

Cupcake World. I'm finding that mixing different brands enhances and improves things and I do it for around 8 different flavours.
AH!
I was looking at CCW earlier specifically cheesecakes but wasn't sure if they were like lorann with different varieties of the same thing designed for different purposes.
Looked at the blueberry cheesecake.
Could you offer your take on them for me please?

Malic acid is extracted from several fruits pre ripe.
Apple's is most common and gives the sour tang.
I've seen places selling it already suspended in PG around 20% search for enhancers I think flavour art or one of the big flavour houses will do it.
Simple citric acid is similar principle and same as malic can be bought in powder form and diluted in PG.
This will give the same cirtus zing as lemon or grapefruit without the lemon or grapefruit taste if that makes sense.
Worth having if your lemon is limp or lacking.

Aye, nobody likes a limp lemon :D

AH!
I was looking at CCW earlier specifically cheesecakes but wasn't sure if they were like lorann with different varieties of the same thing designed for different purposes.
Looked at the blueberry cheesecake.
Could you offer your take on them for me please?

They tend to be a bit weaker than most but the price reflects this, and the quality of their flavours varies, like any other brand.

My favourites are custard, mango, coconut, strawberry jam (almost identical to Just Jam), and jam roly poly. I haven't tried any cheesecakes, though I do have a strawberry cheesecake I've been meaning to knock up.

I tend to buy from Amazon these days, just adding the odd bottle to other orders. You can often find short dated multipacks on there that are cheaper than a single bottle, but you should always check the list of oil containing flavours on their site.

Back
Top Bottom