What's new

Rhubarb and custard recipe

vapemac

Veteran
I've yet to find a rhubarb and custard as good as @pfvapes col-custer so i thought now might be the time to have a tinker with diy. Can anyone help me out with a simple, straightforward recipe to get me started and the best place to go to for these concentrates please.

Oh on a side note, I'd like to use nic shots at first until I decide if mixing is for me.

Make them separately then mix them together.
Never tried rhubarb but it's a classic combo so don't know why.
If you mix your custard of choice do a large batch then once it's had it's loooooooooong steep it will be ready to add to any other fruit or desert flavour you wish.

Make them separately then mix them together.
Never tried rhubarb but it's a classic combo so don't know why.
If you mix your custard of choice do a large batch then once it's had it's loooooooooong steep it will be ready to add to any other fruit or desert flavour you wish.

I haven't mixed before (bar mixclub) I'm looking for a good custard concentrate. Any recommendations? I'm starting from absolute scratch and at this stage I only want to buy what i need to try this one mix.

You're better off with a dedicated concentrate, particularly as BB's one is so good. Mixing the flavours 2 doesn't work as well.

I only use one custard which is Capella V1.
It's deceptive in that it does not come through very well till steeped for a few weeks.
This can make you overdo the strength.
If it's not ready it will have a very strange almost dry taste.
I would say powdery but you'll think I'm mad but that's the only way i can describe it.
I guess I end up around 14-16%.
I find it tastes even better with a little cream or vanilla bean ice cream added but that's just me.
TBH if I started mixing now I would use a one shot but with the separate flavours to hand so I could tweek the balance if I needed to go my taste.

You've tried it then?

Yes, their juice was my highlight from VF last year but this year they only had the concentrate, which I stocked up on.

The rhubarb is mild compared to some, but the crumble really comes through.

I only use one custard which is Capella V1.
It's deceptive in that it does not come through very well till steeped for a few weeks.
This can make you overdo the strength.
If it's not ready it will have a very strange almost dry taste.
I would say powdery but you'll think I'm mad but that's the only way i can describe it.
I guess I end up around 14-16%.
I find it tastes even better with a little cream or vanilla bean ice cream added but that's just me.
TBH if I started mixing now I would use a one shot but with the separate flavours to hand so I could tweek the balance if I needed to go my taste.

I think I'll probably go with the one shot initially, baby steps and all that, but yeah... I'm gonna want to be able to tweek a juice once I'm confident.

Yes, their juice was my highlight from VF last year but this year they only had the concentrate, which I stocked up on.

The rhubarb is mild compared to some, but the crumble really comes through.

Ah ok, I'm looking for something with a predominant tangy rhubarb. Still might be worth a shot though

Back
Top Bottom