What's new

recommended flavouring vendor/PG flavourings question

Hi Holyjuice,

I buy my PG and VG from Reids of Chester via ebay (£7.99/litre) - it's sustainably sourced and 99.99% pure. If it's cheaper elsewhere, e.g. Boots (which I doubt), I would worry about the purity; remember this shit goes in your lungs and it's not for skin treatment which is what Boots will sell it for. Not being funny, but if £7.99/litre is too much money you've got problems you need to put ahead of vaping! I also buy my flavour concentrates from a few different sites but Vapable.com are right at the top of the list as you can get TPA flavours for £1.50 and Capella for £2.50, with 100ml bottles available as well.

I do have de-ionised water but it never gets used. PG is already capable of thinning liquids for you. Additionally, any flavours you use (unless otherwise stated on the bottle) are in PG and therefore contribute towards the PG ratio. Most nicotine is also in PG because it's much easier to work with, although I do use a VG-based nicotine if I want to make a higher VG ratio mix which isn't always possible if you use PG nicotine and flavours. I buy my nicotine from either go4smoke or Darkstar at the moment. I would recommend getting 72mg (7.2%) as you will need to use less for your mixes.

If you're not happy with your vapour production it's because you're running 1.1 ohm at 20W; get yourself a subtank and some 0.5 coils, run it at a minimum of 25W and you'll find yourself producing more in no time. Alternatively, increase your VG % and the vapour production will increase. Definitely download an e-liquid calculator on your phone or use one of the many available online whilst you're mixing; no point taking unnecessary risks with the nicotine or making a pile of crap juice!

Remember, VG is cloud production, PG is flavour (and some minor throat hit) and Nicotine is pure throat hit and nicotine high. So if you have a higher percentage VG bottle you'll get more clouds but less flavour and throat hit than something with more PG in it.

Hope that helps! :)

Edit: just to add; Subtank's have absolutely no problems ripping through high-VG mixes. So it depends what tank you're talking about, but if it goes to 0.5 ohm or less then you're probably fine for anything up to 80% VG. Anything which isn't sub-ohm will probably struggle (e.g. burning coils) with something that high but would be fine with a 50/50.

Last edited:
Hi Holyjuice,

I buy my PG and VG from Reids of Chester via ebay (£7.99/litre) - it's sustainably sourced and 99.99% pure. If it's cheaper elsewhere, e.g. Boots (which I doubt), I would worry about the purity; remember this shit goes in your lungs and it's not for skin treatment which is what Boots will sell it for. Not being funny, but if £7.99/litre is too much money you've got problems you need to put ahead of vaping! I also buy my flavour concentrates from a few different sites but Vapable.com are right at the top of the list as you can get TPA flavours for £1.50 and Capella for £2.50, with 100ml bottles available as well.

I do have de-ionised water but it never gets used. PG is already capable of thinning liquids for you. Additionally, any flavours you use (unless otherwise stated on the bottle) are in PG and therefore contribute towards the PG ratio. Most nicotine is also in PG because it's much easier to work with, although I do use a VG-based nicotine if I want to make a higher VG ratio mix which isn't always possible if you use PG nicotine and flavours. I buy my nicotine from either go4smoke or Darkstar at the moment. I would recommend getting 72mg (7.2%) as you will need to use less for your mixes.

If you're not happy with your vapour production it's because you're running 1.1 ohm at 20W; get yourself a subtank and some 0.5 coils, run it at a minimum of 25W and you'll find yourself producing more in no time. Alternatively, increase your VG % and the vapour production will increase. Definitely download an e-liquid calculator on your phone or use one of the many available online whilst you're mixing; no point taking unnecessary risks with the nicotine or making a pile of crap juice!

Remember, VG is cloud production, PG is flavour (and some minor throat hit) and Nicotine is pure throat hit and nicotine high. So if you have a higher percentage VG bottle you'll get more clouds but less flavour and throat hit than something with more PG in it.

Hope that helps! :)

Edit: just to add; Subtank's have absolutely no problems ripping through high-VG mixes. So it depends what tank you're talking about, but if it goes to 0.5 ohm or less then you're probably fine for anything up to 80% VG. Anything which isn't sub-ohm will probably struggle (e.g. burning coils) with something that high but would be fine with a 50/50.

Thanks for the long and informative reply, buddy!

Are we talking a 80% VG mix with no thinning through a subtank? Or are you thinning with 10% or something?
I did try the stock coils at 0.6ohm but they weren't great either, will build another now and give it a whirl.

Are we talking kanger subtank mini? The stock coils I have are 0.5 ohm and I use 70/30 VG heavy homebrew most of the time with absolutely no problems. I don't use any thing to thin at all, just flavour and Nicotine for PG and pure VG for everything else. Only time I would use H2O is if I was making a non-pg mix for someone but I don't have any VG based Flavours so I can't!

No, I don't thin it. Has no trouble going through any of the subtanks in OCC or RBA mode.
I tend towards 50/50 at 12mg in higher ohm tanks though

Are we talking kanger subtank mini? The stock coils I have are 0.5 ohm and I use 70/30 VG heavy homebrew most of the time with absolutely no problems. I don't use any thing to thin at all, just flavour and Nicotine for PG and pure VG for everything else. Only time I would use H2O is if I was making a non-pg mix for someone but I don't have any VG based Flavours so I can't!

Yeah kangertech subtank mini. Just made a 0.4ohm coil with triple twisted 28gauge kanthal - all good now. Would you suggest 5% thinning for 80VG/20PG? That's the ratio I'm looking to mix at.

Also, how are you getting 70VG/30PG with PG nicotine? Are you using low flavouring levels? I also tried calculating this kind of mix but it told me I needed to use VG nicotine

I don't tend to use more than 20% flavour (usually less) and 3mg nic end product so that gives me a bit of room to play with more flavours or add some pure PG, whatever it needs.

For the thinning, if you want to try it then go ahead, it can't hurt. I haven't tried 80vg on a STM but I'm sure it's more than capable, especially with a decent rda build.

I don't tend to use more than 20% flavour (usually less) and 3mg nic end product so that gives me a bit of room to play with more flavours or add some pure PG, whatever it needs.

For the thinning, if you want to try it then go ahead, it can't hurt. I haven't tried 80vg on a STM but I'm sure it's more than capable, especially with a decent rda build.

Alright, cheers for that.

One more thing - do you recommend Classikool for PG/VG? £7.49 for a litre of PG and £8.95 for VG through Amazon and says the VG is 99.9% pure, also all the reviews are amazing.

Not heard of them but it sounds like you've done your research so I'm sure they're all good. I've used Reids of Chester (via ebay) for about a year and I've always been very happy with them so I've never really looked elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom