What's new
  • Due to active development, we've had to change the site cookie domain. If you're having any issues logging in, please try clearing your cookies for forum.planetofthevapes.co.uk and try again. Sorry for any inconvenience. The POTV Team

Real Ale Liquid.

Interesting mix. If you're going for a stout a tiny bit of toffee might be nice to complement the chocolate. For pale ale types the citrus you've used is a good idea.

I'd like to try a pale ale type of juice myself so might have a bash sometime if you crack this one.

I'm about dubious about using 'beer' concentrates as everyone I've ever tried either taste vile, nothing like beer or taste like those gummy pint pots you used to be able to get as a kid. Reckon be better just starting at scratch and going from there.

Thinking two weeks might be abit long for steep. Stuck it in ultrasonic for an hour and smell is now alot more subtle and blended and colour has darkened. Maybe trying this weekend....

Yakima Hops by Flavorah?

Know that one though is only used in small amounts as can give a slightly dry texture. Might try some citrus to balance it abit.

Biscuit could probably work, add alittle more texture but if using Yakima Hop, may make it alittle too dry, I'll certainly try a version with alittle biscuit. Have a few to choose from.

Anyone suggest another fruit? I tried a Plum IPA once that was rather nice. Anyone else tried any ales with a fruit back note?
Titanic brewery plum porter is the dogs danglies Chris. Good luck with the recipe. I will be interested how it comes out. [emoji106]
Just read rest of thread, see the titanic already got sunk [emoji6]

Last edited:
Well I feel as rough as a bears arse today. Dentist yesterday for a wisdom tooth extraction and the little twat didn't want to budge so ended up cutting the tooth into 4 parts and butchering lots of squigy fleshy bits to get it out then sowing me back together with what feels like Kanthal 26g. So tonight, I'm drinking JD like it's water as find it numbs it nicely (I'm going to ask for a prescription).

Whilst the alcohol is flowing freely thought I'd give these two ale liquids a try with some assistance from Mrs Chris K.

V1 - Tastes like a light larger, kind of thing you'd drink in summer sat in a beer garden. The TFA Bourbon definitely has a sweetener in and that does carry through. Actually quite pleasent as it is, next time think I'm going to knock the bourbon down 0.4% to try and make it a tad less sweet but for a first attempt, not bad at all! Would pair perfectly with a subtle fruit. Mrs Chris K reckons it isn't too sweet (She hates sweet vapes) but... I thought it was a touch too sweet for what I'm aiming for.

V2- The bourbon used in this certainly doesn't have the sweetness of TFA and that's obvious. Get, again, a larger taste initially but very quickly followed up with a heavy oak/malt/hop taste pushing it firmly into an ale flavour. It's alot heavier and richer than V1, definitely my favourite of the two bases to far. Mrs suggested a couple of drops of chocolate and a tiny bit of toffee just to round it off nicely.

Both tested in a Haku Cruiser RDA using Cotton Bacon. 70/30 and 3mg.

The experimenting will continue and I'll leave the two to steep alittle longer but so far, so good!

Excellent stuff. V2 definitely sounds like you’re not a million miles off where you were aiming.
Sorry about the tooth, I had one that shattered as they were extracting it, so I know it’s a bastard.

Excellent stuff. V2 definitely sounds like you’re not a million miles off where you were aiming.
Sorry about the tooth, I had one that shattered as they were extracting it, so I know it’s a bastard.

V2 is certainly closer, it's not there yet but closer than I hoped when first thinking this recipe out.

V1 was actually a pleasent surprise, not really what I was aiming for but somehow has turned into a rather nice liquid. If I added a touch of banana, it would be very close to Staropramen Larger! Actually, might try that now!

Cheers mate, I'm actually quite glad I have a full on beard at minute, I can feel the swelling around my jaw but beard has stopped me looking like the elephant man! Small victories...

Just alittle update for this thread.

I knocked up a V3 but I'll come back around to that disaster.

Taken all 3 versions down to the Manabush Cave for a second opinion from @bil1666 & @Huggett and we came to same conclusion, V2 was certainly the best but needed tweeking still. V1 wasn't bad but missed the mark of what I was going for. V2 may need all flavours upping slightly (5% combined I'd say) as is slightly down on overall flavour.

Now... V3.... I took V2 and messed about with it alittle to go for a more 'burnt/heavy' taste, so upped brown sugar slightly, reduced bourbon, added a dark chocolate (tiny amount) and upped the Red Oak... it had the complete opposite effect, it came out ridiculously over-sweetened, may work for Americans or Malaysians but not here! The chocolate wasn't the issue, think the brown sugar is sweeter than I originally thought, will be pulling that back drastically but keeping the chocolate though may try another brand. @Huggett was moaning he couldn't get rid of the taste of V3 so that one is going straight in the bin.

I've become alittle sidetracked the last week and revisited an older recipe of mine but a V4 and V5 of Ale will be coming along soon.

Back
Top Bottom