What's new

Do you go around your elbow to get to your ass?

Maybe you should ask, has anyone went from syringes to weight, and back to syringes again, once you get used to mixing by weight most prefer it, although it is just a preference
No, I have not asked that. But I don't think it would really help me out any either. If someone could say that it's more accurate to measure weight because xxxx....that would be helpful to me. What I have seen, no body takes into consideration the flavor concentrates are compound solutions. Not water. Or even a simple solution. This will bring different results. If you make a recipe and you mix with weight but, you simply assign all the flavors a general 1mg=1ml weight, and I come across your recipe and try it out but I measure by volume, our % are going to be different. Same goes for if someone finds your recipe and mixes by weight but they use specific gravity for each individual flavor, their percentages will be different than yours but closer to mine. I think that is the issue I see with it.

I have heard others mention the contamination before and I don't understand that. I know this might read as something a jackass would say but it's not my intention. How do you transfer your flavors? It doesn't seem that either one has a higher risk than the other.

I put a comment to someone else about why I am asking all of this, I do have a purpose, and it is not to tell anyone the are wrong or they need to change. I have seen so many arguments about this all over the Web. That's not my intention here. I just know that there is adifference that people notice with my juice and a friend who goes by weight. And, that's the only difference between our juices. We make purchases in bulk and split our ingredients. And, I can personally tell the difference from when he did volume the first couple of weeks and 4 months into him using weight. I would like to help him, but I have to understand what I am doing first.
Cross contamination of flavours and more woringly bacteria, can occur if your pipettes or syringe is not thouroghly cleansed.
All bottles and beakers I use are storer aliased before use.
Flavour comes straight from the bottle.
My risk is minimal with regards to spreading any bacteria and I have no chance of cross contaminating my flavours.
I doubt people prefer your mixtures over your friends simply down to how you measure your recipe?
Whether by weight or volume, 10ml is 10ml, 10% is 10%, is it not?

Cross contamination of flavours and more woringly bacteria, can occur if your pipettes or syringe is not thouroghly cleansed.
All bottles and beakers I use are storer aliased before use.
Flavour comes straight from the bottle.
My risk is minimal with regards to spreading any bacteria and I have no chance of cross contaminating my flavours.
I doubt people prefer your mixtures over your friends simply down to how you measure your recipe?
Whether by weight or volume, 10ml is 10ml, 10% is 10%, is it not?
You are no different than what I do. Just because I measure by volume doesn't mean I don't know how to properly sterilize my equipment. I think the risk is the same for you as it is for me.

You would think that the %s would equal each other in the end, and it should.

I think I may have figured it out though. I realize a lot of people assign a generic 1mg=1ml to all the flavor concentrates. Which is fine, if you make note of it on your recipe that you share. If I see that recipe and mix it up, it will be different because the flavors all have their own value and it isn't 1mg=1ml. Same thing will happen if someone tries to mix that same recipe using specific gravity for each flavor. It will be different from original but closer to mine.

Now, if you are like me and don't use recipes, it doesn't make and difference whatsoever. My friend on the other hand, follows recipes only. More often than not, his trial run recipes are trash. Now that I've sat and typed that all out, it still doesn't explain why people prefer mine over his, just why he has an ungodly amount of failed recipes.

I have no idea. I'm trying to figure it out. The obvious one to me would be if the flavors we use are different. However, not the case here. I thought it could be how he measures because he had much more success when he was measuring volume at first. One would only assume one would get better over time, not worse. He switched to a scale and has made almost no progress in 4 months. Obviously, there's an issue somewhere, I just need to find it. After ruling out flavors as the culprit I went to the next thing that I thought of which was how we measure. So, here I am.

Have you tried your friends juice, compared it against your own?
How do you find it compare?
How do you both mix your liquid, stir? Whisk? Shake?
How long do you leave to steep?
Do you or your friend use heat?
Do you both follow the recipe exactly as instructed?
To truly understand and compare you have to both follow the same mixing methods out with the measurement issue to understand if that is the issue?

Here's a scenario for you to ponder?

A top chef is given the same ingredients and recipe as yourself.
Now do you think that you both will produce the exact same results?

I don't really understand why it would be quicker. It isn't time consuming at all. At least, not to me it isn't, not enough to want to find a way to cut it down.

as i said it depends on the quantity you're mixing, if you're mixing say 500mls by weight or by volume at 70vg thats 350mls of vg and a lot of syringes... I haven't used beakers, but still pouring it into a beaker, then into a bottle is still double the time and work than pouring it into a bottle sat on a scale

I mix by weight because I find it far easier, I just take it Pg 1ml=1gram vg is about 1.24 , might not be exact but won't be far away
Using syringes wont be that far off either. Ive worked in hospitals and they always use syringes for life saving doses which have to be as precise as posible. So scales or syringes will do the trick.

All scales are not made equally.
Follow a recipe thats displayed in weight and you diy it by weight on different make of scale its probably off by .5 of a gramm same as using syringes may be off by .5 of a ml.
Syringe will be off because residue on outside or whats left inside of syringe.
All syringes should be made equal unlike scales.

0.5 of a ml? That's some serious inaccuracy by either method there lol.
.5 is Just to make a point.
Just saying either way is inacurate.
Only way of getting acurate measurements is by using a filling machine. And i dont think many people who d.i.y have one of those.

Back
Top Bottom