What's new

Do you go around your elbow to get to your ass?

I'll bet 20p that if you get a set of scales and start to mix by weight, you will learn something. Most notably, what a load of bollocks you've written above.

I don't know what you mean? I just explained my reasonings behind measuring by volume.

I don't know what you mean? I just explained my reasonings behind measuring by volume.
Your reasoning for mixing by volume is fine and I'm sure no-one has any issue with whichever method people prefer. Unfortunately, almost everything you have to say about mixing by weight is patently bollocks. No offense intended, it just is.

Last edited:
Agree with Mr Numpty
Spend a couple of quid on a set of good scales and compare your methods.
Another thing is that it is quicker to get the mix done mixing by weight also more importantly you cut down the risk of contamination.
But each to their own.

Why not give it a try then, what you got to lose, the price of a set of scales, if you really want to be precise, weigh your syringe put 10ml in syringe and weigh your concentrate, take it from there
Something so simple, yet it never crossed my mind to do a comparison like that before. Thanks. That's definitely something I will do that could bring me closer to understanding.

Your reasoning for mixing by volume is fine and I'm sure no-one has any issue with whichever method people prefer. Unfortunately, almost everything you have to say about mixing by weight is patently bollocks. No offense intended, it just is.
Like I said before, I'm just here to learn something. Everything I have said is based off what I remember from school. I can't guarantee that I am even recalling it correctly. I can say with certainty that I never used a scale to measure fluids to make a solution.

I live in a small town, and there's one other person I know of that mixes. He mixes by weight, and follows advise and direction from others from various forums like this. We both give juice to the same people, each of us have our own specific flavors we make, and a mutual agreement to not copy each other. We both make purchases together in bulk and split them. The only difference is, how we measure. I have been asked several times to make one of his recipes by different people becasue they prefer my juice over his, but like the flavor he offers. I know that the first few batches he made before he started mixing by weight were really good. Now, I can't vape his more than dripping it to taste it.

Now, I see so many people who swear by mixing by weight, that it's more accurate, easier, faster, etc. Yet, my experience with it tells me otherwise based of what other people have to say about how my juice compares to someone who mixes by weight, and these people have no idea about our methods.

I am by no means generalizing this and implying that I make my juice better than everyone who weighs theirs. I also understand taste is subjective. I wouldn't have any concern about it if it was for the fact that almost everyone I give juice to tells me mine is preferred. The only variable is, the method we use. If we used different ingredients, it would be my first thought of why mine is preferred. But, we split 90% of our stuff, we order 4oz we each get 2. So, I can't even say it's because of a different batch. And, it's completely possible he is doing it completely wrong. I just think if I understood why weight is better, I could help him. But, I can't help someone do something that I just don't understand myself.

Like I said before, I'm just here to learn something. Everything I have said is based off what I remember from school. I can't guarantee that I am even recalling it correctly. I can say with certainty that I never used a scale to measure fluids to make a solution.

I live in a small town, and there's one other person I know of that mixes. He mixes by weight, and follows advise and direction from others from various forums like this. We both give juice to the same people, each of us have our own specific flavors we make, and a mutual agreement to not copy each other. We both make purchases together in bulk and split them. The only difference is, how we measure. I have been asked several times to make one of his recipes by different people becasue they prefer my juice over his, but like the flavor he offers. I know that the first few batches he made before he started mixing by weight were really good. Now, I can't vape his more than dripping it to taste it.

Now, I see so many people who swear by mixing by weight, that it's more accurate, easier, faster, etc. Yet, my experience with it tells me otherwise based of what other people have to say about how my juice compares to someone who mixes by weight, and these people have no idea about our methods.

I am by no means generalizing this and implying that I make my juice better than everyone who weighs theirs. I also understand taste is subjective. I wouldn't have any concern about it if it was for the fact that almost everyone I give juice to tells me mine is preferred. The only variable is, the method we use. If we used different ingredients, it would be my first thought of why mine is preferred. But, we split 90% of our stuff, we order 4oz we each get 2. So, I can't even say it's because of a different batch. And, it's completely possible he is doing it completely wrong. I just think if I understood why weight is better, I could help him. But, I can't help someone do something that I just don't understand myself.

It seems to me that if you "each have our own specific flavours we make, and a mutual agreement to not copy each other", then you are making different recipes and that people prefer your recipes. That has nothing to do with method of measurement and none of it has anything at all to do with your misconceptions about mixing by weight, which seem to be numerous. Mixing by weight is extremely easy and accurate and not at all plagued by the pitfalls you suggest. That's all I'm trying to say.

Agree with Mr Numpty
Spend a couple of quid on a set of good scales and compare your methods.
Another thing is that it is quicker to get the mix done mixing by weight also more importantly you cut down the risk of contamination.
But each to their own.
I have heard others mention the contamination before and I don't understand that. I know this might read as something a jackass would say but it's not my intention. How do you transfer your flavors? It doesn't seem that either one has a higher risk than the other.

I put a comment to someone else about why I am asking all of this, I do have a purpose, and it is not to tell anyone the are wrong or they need to change. I have seen so many arguments about this all over the Web. That's not my intention here. I just know that there is adifference that people notice with my juice and a friend who goes by weight. And, that's the only difference between our juices. We make purchases in bulk and split our ingredients. And, I can personally tell the difference from when he did volume the first couple of weeks and 4 months into him using weight. I would like to help him, but I have to understand what I am doing first.

It seems to me that if you "each have our own specific flavours we make, and a mutual agreement to not copy each other", then you are making different recipes and that people prefer your recipes. That has nothing to do with method of measurement and none of it has anything at all to do with your misconceptions about mixing by weight, which seem to be numerous. Mixing by weight is extremely easy and accurate and not at all plagued by the pitfalls you suggest. That's all I'm trying to say.
People tell us they like his flavors, but there is just something about his they don't like. But they don't know why. They have no idea we use the same ingredients, and that if I made his recipes, the only difference is going to be how it's measured.

I mix by volume because it works for me.
I mostly mix 100ml batches.
The lowest volume I am likely to measure is 0.3 ml or 0.4 ml and a 1ml syringe is perfectly good for that.

In my early days of mixing when making 10ml samples, I would use a proper scientific pipette that is accurate to 0.01 ml.
I could have got a more accurate pipette if I had gone for a 0.5ml rather than a 1ml one.
I was offered them by a friend that works in a lab because all the technicians use scales these days so there were drawers full of unused pipettes.

There is no doubt that good scales are more accurate than volume measures that depend on human perception of fluids and lines on tubes.
I would trust my pipette over a cheap set of scales if I thought that level of accuracy was important but I doubt that most of us require that level of accuracy.

Once you have got to grips with mixing, most of us just want to do it efficiently and easily, and either volume or weight can be very easy.

As to whether you mix better than him, either he is more sloppy than you or you are putting too much weight on folk that are just buttering you up .

I mix differently according to the amount, if I'm mixing over 50ml I will do it by weight, much quicker and easier and for that amount +/- is unnoticable I find, mixing under 30mls I will use syringes as thats just as easy, I haven't used beakers so mixing something like 250mls would take a much longer time and be as inaccurate with syringes I'm sure! Syringes (and perhaps eyesight) wont be that accurate either I think

Back
Top Bottom