What's new

Bezs Liquid.

Chris K

Vendor
Please see this thread for details:-

https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...n/mixology/threads/calling-all-mixers.206019/

So Bezs idea was a liquid based on a South African drink called Amarula.

Now I've never tried it (Never even heard of it to be fair! I'll try and find a bottle somewhere) but Bez described it as cream based liquor with a Rum note and a cocoa/coffee flavour. He was stuck though as it contains Marula fruit and he was struggling to replicate it.

Now this sounds like quite a complex recipe! I sent him some Irish Cream TFA but I'm not sure if he ended up using it or not.

So... What do we reckon? I have some experience with Rum flavourings and as a rule, the ones you can buy off the shelf are abit crap!

I know @StrawberryRipple is abit of a wizz with cream bases.

Throw some ideas out their everyone, I've got a couple like using Bourbon TFA as a sub for the Rum, Fresh Cream FA, Irish Cream TFA. I'd avoid any sweetener as the Marula fruit which will need to research is apparently quite Tart and the Irish Cream TFA is alittle sweet already.

Let's see what we can do.

Marula Fruit.....
A velvety, rich, nutty-caramel flavor with a hint of citrus. Think: Bailey's, but way better.

Amarula is a cream liqueur from South Africa. It is made with sugar, cream and the fruit of the African marula tree which is also locally called the Elephant tree or the Marriage Tree. It has an alcohol content of 17% by volume.

upload_2021-5-17_19-48-9.png

If used something like Dulce De Leche by Flavor West, would nail the part of the creaminess and the Caramel note in one.

I'm struggling to think how a citrus could squeeze in without being overwhelmed...

Cheers for the link on Amazon, I'll have to get some ordered soon to try out.

Interesting research.....
https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/marula

A relative of cashew, mango, and pistachio plants, the marula tree is iconic in South Africa. Most diners consume the fruit raw, pureed in juice, or cooked in jams and jellies. It’s also well known as an ingredient in the popular cream liqueur Amarula (though most of the fruit’s flavors take a backseat to the drink’s creamy, butterscotch-flavored base).

If used something like Dulce De Leche by Flavor West, would nail the part of the creaminess and the Caramel note in one.

I'm struggling to think how a citrus could squeeze in without being overwhelmed...

Cheers for the link on Amazon, I'll have to get some ordered soon to try out.
Think you'd be better off trying to get some of the fruit to know what that tastes like.
Nailing a nutty boozy Butterscotch type cream is the easy bit.

Think you'd be better off trying to get some of the fruit to know what that tastes like.
Nailing a nutty boozy Butterscotch type cream is the easy bit.

I'd agree with that, Bez didn't mention Nut so I can only assume its a very subtle note.

I'll get a bottle of Amurla ordered and give it ago, will make life easier!

It's an interesting one though and sounds like it could be very nice.

I'd agree with that, Bez didn't mention Nut so I can only assume its a very subtle note.

I'll get a bottle of Amurla ordered and give it ago, will make life easier!

It's an interesting one though and sounds like it could be very nice.
I just watched a video of some guy showing how to eat the fruit in the hope he'd describe the flavour but he didn't.
He did say something interesting though which was the kernel/stone in it contains a nut inside which is edible too.
He also said it contains 4x vit c than an orange.

Looking at the way they make the drink there appears to be nothing else in it except they add sweetened cream to the fruit after it's fermented in oak casks for 24 months.

Back
Top Bottom