Vape Superstore
What's new

What to do if mesh isn't wicking well?

#200 for higher vg? I had read that 400 was better and I've used it with no problem but then I was using a silica topper. Would that make the difference?

Vape Club
AcmeFog
Can't believe I've not seen this before.
Ok,
@vapemac, @domejunky is correct 400 mesh is only good up to about 60vg but can be used in conjunction with 200 for straw in straw.
@vapemac & @Crewella, if you take a close look at the mesh you'll see that it has a 'grain' of sorts juice flows better along this grain so make sure your straws are cut accordingly. If you're still having trouble then go for the straw in straw, this can be achieved with a single bit of mesh. (I'll post a video link when i get home and can remember it) for the kraken and other old style gennies I use a paperclip to get the inner straw the right diameter.
Hope this lot helps
Glenn

I've always been fine with 400 mesh even with high vg. As for the gennie tilt, some tanks need it more than others. My in'ax can be used fairly normally whereas my satburn needs to be vaped nearly upside down to keep the dry hits away. I've always found a straw but with not too thick walls seems to work best. Sometimes you need to reroll it if it isn't wicking right. Keep at it, you'll get there :)

Premier Ecigs
I've always been fine with 400 mesh even with high vg. As for the gennie tilt, some tanks need it more than others. My in'ax can be used fairly normally whereas my satburn needs to be vaped nearly upside down to keep the dry hits away. I've always found a straw but with not too thick walls seems to work best. Sometimes you need to reroll it if it isn't wicking right. Keep at it, you'll get there :)
Ah - OK .... so it does sound as though I might be expecting a bit too much if I'm wanting it to wick like cotton and not have to do the tilt. I'm getting by OK - as long as I do the tilt I'm not getting dry hits, but when you're new to something you just don't know how much better it's supposed to get!

Thanks! :)

Ah - OK .... so it does sound as though I might be expecting a bit too much if I'm wanting it to wick like cotton and not have to do the tilt. I'm getting by OK - as long as I do the tilt I'm not getting dry hits, but when you're new to something you just don't know how much better it's supposed to get!

Thanks! :)
Mesh is a whole different ball game, but still fun to play with. It also takes a good tank load or two for the wick to break in so bear that in mind. Also where did you get your mesh from? I always get mine from Rob @steathvape as his is cleaner and is far superior to any other mesh that I've tried. I got a sample from another well know wick and wire supplier and the mesh had residue and didn't wick anywhere near as well as rob's stuff.

Vape Green
One word.... "Kraken". This is older school technology these days @Crewella and you WILL need to tilt it!!
Like @Purplefowler says, I only buy mesh from @stealthvape and will never use anything else. The quality is superb, as of course, is the service.

Thank you both @Rob and @Purplefowler - that lets me off the hook! I'm a bit of a perfectionist and would have kept trying forever! :D

I don't mind the tilt at all, and it works, just as long as I know it's supposed to be like that. :)

E-liquids.com
Mesh is a whole different ball game, but still fun to play with. It also takes a good tank load or two for the wick to break in so bear that in mind. Also where did you get your mesh from? I always get mine from Rob @steathvape as his is cleaner and is far superior to any other mesh that I've tried. I got a sample from another well know wick and wire supplier and the mesh had residue and didn't wick anywhere near as well as rob's stuff.
A couple of apes very kindly sent me some mesh, so half of what I'm using is of unknown provenance (though I suspect Stealthvape) but I usually do worship at the Church of Stealthvape anyway! ;)

I'm just beginning to realise how much of a 'long game' you're playing with mesh. Because I've been new to it and keen to improve my skills, I''ve been tending to get through a tank of juice and then rebuild every time. Whilst that has certainly been the right way to make progress, I've realised it's also meant I've never got to use my wicks at their best, and certainly never been able to appreciate the joys of just dry burning and not having to re-wick. I've had a build in the RSST that seems to be working OK and it's only now that I'm on my third tank of juice with it that I'm really starting to taste the difference!

Back
Top Bottom